Review by Gracie777 -- Barbra Streisand: On the Couch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Gracie777 -- Barbra Streisand: On the Couch

Post by Gracie777 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Barbra Streisand: On the Couch" by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

I will humbly begin by rating this book 4 out of 4 stars, the reason being there is no book I have read before that has captivated me and torn and mend my heart in the same beat. This book is the simplest, most engaging and easiest to understand guide to overcoming life obstacles and rising to the top regardless of where you are or have been. Alma H. bond has carefully, thoughtfully and beautifully written this memoir. I think and believe it should be a compulsory reading for the whole human race for it possesses rare gems of wisdom found nowhere else.

I love reading books so much because they give me private tours and views into minds I could never have met in person. Books are my bridges to a world that obstacles have hindered my reach. Barbra Streisand: On the Couch is a front seat VIP access into the world of a superstar. The author gives you a peek into the life of an award-winning, record-topping superstar. A brilliant and inspiring journal of the most influential female superstar in modern history.

Barbra’s life story is sure to help readers face and conquer their own challenges with better insight, consideration, compassion, and effectiveness.

If anyone doubts that being a star doesn't mean you are given a free pass from life issues and the pain they unearth or birth, then this book will erase those doubts.

I love Barbra's ideology of being color blind to race, shouldn't we all?

It’s such a cruel thing for a mother to declare loving one child above or more than the other. How can it be said of you, that you are too ugly to live?? This is a profoundly necessary book; it is a thorough examination of Barbra’s fragile heart, allowing readers to identify with the sensitive nature of superstars. They are only humans too.

I have always believed in my heart too, that girls always chose men like their fathers; Barbra proves this to be true. I am the mother of a little girl and Barbra's childhood has taught me just how much my approval/love is vital to her wellbeing. Don't judge a book by its cover, if you only look at the star that Ms. Barbra Streisand portrays, you will miss the scars.

The lesson here is that no matter how other people view you, you are only as beautiful as you see yourself.
This is a true story of the enduring spirit that Barbra Streisand possesses. Barbra's never giving up attitude brought her to a rich life.

While reading this book, I kept smiling to myself reason being, I couldn't believe that I was reading about a superstar and yet she felt so familiar, relatable, vulnerable, a little flawed but beautiful.
When I chose to review this book, I expected to read about the rich, flamboyant and glamour-filled life of a superstar. Wow!!! A shock to me!! How could a child have lived in such abuse and misery, with a loveless mother and still succeed to write award-winning songs that captivate audiences all over the world? Truly Barbra's spirit is defiant and amazing.

Get VIP advice from the top, trust your instincts and success can't help but be your companion.
I wholeheartedly agree with Barbra that it is a big mistake for girls to be in haste to lose their innocence, for me, I believe they should wait until they are married. I personally made the mistake of not waiting and the heartache it caused me still haunts me.

I love Barbra's life, all of us only dream of the freedom she lived under so effortlessly without a care in the world. It's difficult to imagine how such a free-spirit could need psychoanalysis.

Ha ha ha!! I can't help but laugh, how true is this statement, “People like to feel miserable. Make them laugh and they'll forget ya in two minutes. But make them cry, ah, they will remember ya forever".

This book is thoughtfully &perfectly well-written, I enjoyed every second of it’s reading. There is no point I felt lost, it flowed seamlessly. I loved this book so much because I related so much to Barbra Streisand, since I am superb or inadequate most of the times, I either excel or flop, I am also a perfectionist.

True to Barbra's wisdom, am learning now that listening to my inner voice or following my gut is often leading me into a satisfactory life.

I just had to put this in my review, since this small excerpt is my prayer for all humanity, the world would be an amazing heavenly place to live if all followed this nugget of reasoning."When I got to be fifteen years old, I realized that most people, if they pretended to be something they were not, were nothing. But if they just were themselves, if they were just being and not acting a part, they were fascinating, because they were just being human. Once they began to act, they were false. They were their insufficiencies. But once they were just nothing, they were something. I am nothing false, which makes me a something.”
I am speechless as to what peeking into the life of Barbra Streisand has done for my life.

While reading, I literary wanted to note every statement that I believed to be true, (like that the birth process in the body of a woman is a miracle which only stands to prove God's mighty existence) but that would have made my review a book. So I urge all to taste this sumptuous delicacy for themselves.

I completely agree with Barbra when she says that the major purpose of living is growing. Always giving yourself the chance and space to be bigger and better all the time, leave the past behind, moving on, ever so swiftly. I also agree that blaming people keeps you a victim which I was for a long time until I learned to love and value myself just as I am and not try to be a photocopy of anyone else. Anyways, an original is always better and unique. Honestly speaking, I have never been happier than I am today.
The other gem of wisdom that I wholly agree with, is the ideology that forgiveness is the lesson we all need to learn in order to live more healthy lives. When you forgive, you heal yourself from within.

This book makes my membership in OnlineBookClub.org worth more than a trillion dollars. I have learned so much. Wisdom, wisdom and more wisdom. "Happiness belongs to those who are sufficient unto themselves. All external sources of happiness and pleasure are subject to chance."
"Beauty lures us with a promise that lacks any validation. Have we ever truly believed that beauty is only skin deep? Have we ever truly cared?"
Dalai Lama says, "Tell the truth with compassion". I agree 100%. I too believe in always speaking the truth, it sure does make life simpler.

Despite Barbra’s anguish, misfortune and adversity, she had the willpower and ambition to transform negative experiences into lessons of how to attain a better life. Her experiences, though heartbreaking, birthed an influential, positive, secure and pleasant mother, wife, woman, and activist.

There were a few typos and grammatical errors, none of which made the book less educative. This is a book you will remember long after you have finished reading it. That’s why I gladly gave it a perfect score and recommend it to all, just for the lessons in self-belief and self-development it teaches and enables. You will be changed, that’s for sure, you will be equipped to rise up and pursue your dreams only in being your authentic self.

Barbra Streisand: On the Couch
View: on Bookshelves

Like Gracie777's review? Post a comment saying so!
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

This is a very entertaining book. The author was able to give me so much information about the actress: surprising tidbits and revelations.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well it does sound like an interesting look at Ms. Streisand's life. Being it's a fictional account I do wonder how much is actually true. Still, it sounds like there are some good topics here. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

A fictional interview digging into the psyche of Barbara Streisand? This sounds awesome!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A fictional account of Barbra Streisand's life story sounds intriguing. That it also shows how to overcome obstacles is certainly a plus. Barbra's ideology of being color blind is admirable, and one I share as well. I thought at first it was a real account, until I read the fine print. I don't think it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it so much. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
daylaylay_16
Currently Reading: Bound
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daylaylay-16.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by daylaylay_16 »

This book isn’t something I usually read but I have friend who will much rather enjoy it better than me. So after reading this review, I’ll recommend it to them giving them more insight of what it’s about.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a great fiction novel that details overcoming life obstacles and rising to the top regardless of the situation. I loved reading this book and particularly liked the inciteful onlinebookclub review. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars and congrats on the BOTD.
bukworm543
Currently Reading: The Art of Rest
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by bukworm543 »

This is an interesting review. It sounds like you enjoyed the book immensely. I am curious about how much of it is true since it’s a fictional book.
I found your review disjointed at times. For example, you said “I love Barbra's life, all of us only dream of the freedom she lived under so effortlessly without a care in the world. It's difficult to imagine how such a free-spirit could need psychoanalysis.” This statement doesn’t make sense since it comes after you telling us about her abuse... that doesn’t sound like she lives without a care in the world.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Memoir is something that makes review difficult for me to read and review, as I always want to score the highest percentage. Thanks for the thorough review.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I am glad that you really enjoyed the book about Barbara Streisand. I like her singing and acting. It is a bit surprising that she has had a tough life, even with all her successes. The book sounds like it is personal and helpful to work through some difficulties in life.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

A book on overcoming life obstacles and still rising to the top seems wonderful! Glad that the author is open on this kind of topic. Great review!
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
AngharadB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angharadb.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by AngharadB »

I’m a bit confused by the review which says this is a memoir and life story but isn’t it fiction, based on Barbara Streisand’s life? I’m not saying that isn’t worthwhile reading but a memoir implies it is non-fiction.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I had no idea that Barbara Streisand had had such a difficult childhood.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Thank you for your review. It's sad how much she missed her father, a man she really didn't even know except through his writings. It is also very sad that her mother was so cruel. It was a lot to overcome and she did it wonderfully. I want to read more!
Tajwar Shakir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tajwar-shakir.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Tajwar Shakir »

"Beauty lures us with a promise that lacks any validation. Have we ever truly believed that beauty is only skin deep? Have we ever truly cared?"
wow! this book seems really interesting to me as I am a fond reader of memoirs and journal based fiction. the idea of beauty being debated seems to attract my attention of reading it. the story of an actresses via her own words and her own very self seems intriguing. Psychology and English Literature go hand in hand for a long time and the way the writer has highlighted the struggle of this woman deserves a read indeed. good work keep it up. the review is really interesting and tempting for the readers to go for reading this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”