Review by Hope Pesner -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hope Pesner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hope-pesner.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by Hope Pesner -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Hope Pesner »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven’s Peak, World on Fire, Book I by Lincoln Cole is a fast-paced supernatural novel that I really enjoyed. The action starts almost immediately in the first few pages and just keeps rolling. The characters are introduced quickly and given believable (in the context of the book) backstory. The two main characters, Abigail and Haatim are connected, first by circumstances; and then as the story progresses, by association. Lincoln Cole makes it believable and presents the supernatural as a very real presence in the world.

Parts of the story are a little far-fetched, and there is a great deal of reliance on coincidence. However, the story is woven together quite well and the author maintains consistency with the details and plotline. I wasn’t left with any serious questions about what had happened in the confines of the storyline. Everything was explained and there are no glaring plot holes.

The novel was also nicely set up for the sequel as certain plot points were established that would require resolution in a future novel. All things considered, I would rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story and the plotting. I like that consistency was maintained throughout and that the characters were believable and interacted naturally; even in a supernatural setting.

I disliked how the two main characters happened to be linked by association. I think it was enough to link them through circumstances in the novel. There is a heavy reliance on coincidence; and although it is explained in the story, it still seems far-fetched in places. However, the story is a supernatural thriller, so I had the expectation that there would be things that might seem ‘unreal.’ There is a continual use of the gross-out factor which some readers might not enjoy. It was used a lot throughout the novel and I don’t feel it was entirely necessary to always go into such detail. Sometimes less is more. However, it did help maintain the consistency of detail and plot points.

Overall, I did enjoy Raven’s Peak: World on Fire, Book I a lot. I’m looking forward to reading the next installment if possible. I am rating this novel 3 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read and established the story well. It gave a satisfactory ending to the first novel while believably setting up plot points that needed resolution in a future novel. I did not find any significant editing errors.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Hope Pesner's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I would not enjoy the "gross-out factor" that you mentioned, especially if it's not really necessary and doesn't serve a purpose. The fact that you are looking forward to the sequel speaks to how well-done this one was. Thank you for your insights on this book!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”