Review by ajt2197 -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ajt2197
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajt2197.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Review by ajt2197 -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Post by ajt2197 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I would give Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga Book 1) by Janet McNulty a 2 out of 4 stars. This book has a good plot line and towards the end the characters become more likable. The pacing of the book was good and I never felt bored by the action. However, the sentences were often a bit wordy such as one example from page 24, “Racking her brains to remember the layout from the time her grandfather had brought her there as a child, he charged down the corridors- the ship was much larger on the inside- to what she believed was the flight deck.” If that sort of sentence structure doesn’t bother you then it might be a good book to read.

This book is about a girl named Rynah whose planet gets destroyed because a life-giving crystal was removed. She finds a ship with artificial intelligence who is named Solaris. Turns out that there are six crystals and if they are brought together, they will create a super weapon. There is also a prophecy. Solaris takes people who fit the prophecy from various times and places and transports them to her time. They are Brie, Tom, Solon, and Alfric. Together, these heroes go on an adventure to find the six crystals before the bad guy does. Along the way they run into pirates and explore a sunken ship as well as have other adventures.

There were some awkward sentences such as one on page 269, “Soon they had reached the bottom, exhaustion wanting to overcome them. The long and awkward sentences were fairly prevalent throughout the book. There were also some sentences with redundancies such as one on page 383, “...they neared a space station in a remote area of space.”

There were a few inconsistencies in the plot that I noticed. Towards the beginning, it switched between calling Marlow by his name or calling him Grandfather but then became consistent later in the book. I only noticed this once or twice. It didn’t explain how they knew where the first two crystals were though my guess is that they read the old stories and there was something in that. One big inconsistency I noticed was that it was stated that when crystals were removed, the civilization would go to ruin but that didn’t always happen.

This book was also extremely clean which is a big plus for me. There were one or two mentions of prostitutes towards the end but only the word was used and nothing was suggested. It also had great pacing and the characters changed throughout the book and they had clear desires. There were few grammar errors, just long sentences.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ajt2197's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”