Review by maggi3 -- That Place of Knowledge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Review by maggi3 -- That Place of Knowledge

Post by maggi3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

That Place of Knowledge is a unique short story told from the perspective of an autism service dog called Sabre. One day, Sabre follows his human Philip into a pool, which leads to a hidden city. The city can only be described as a utopia for Philip. Where Harry Potter has Hogwarts and the Shadowhunters have Idris, Philip has this place. He meets the philosopher Aristotle there, and they have intellectual conversations on many topics.

The story is divided between two trips to this city. If you like dialogue heavy reading, the first section, with a long conversation between Philip and Aristotle, could be for you. If not, there’s a good amount of exploration in the second section that might appeal to you more.

I really enjoyed reading this story, especially because I’ve never read anything like it before. It was light-hearted with themes of philosophy that bring up some thought-provoking topics. There were a lot of great quotes as well. At one point, Aristotle says, “Just because someone is different doesn’t mean they can’t think.” This is especially relevant because the author, Philip Shalka, is nonverbal and says that people tend to think that he is not intelligent based on that. Another quote I really liked was, “How can you be happy without knowing yourself?” I only wish that the story would have been longer or that the author would write more about Philip and Sabre because I loved the idea behind the story and I would be interested to see more of what the city holds.

There were a few errors in That Place of Knowledge and, although they didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the plot, they stood out in such a short story. My main criticism with That Place of Knowledge is that I thought the dialogue seemed stiff and somewhat repetitive in places which was noticeable enough to be a bit distracting for me. Had the dialogue been more natural sounding, I would have given this 4 stars. However, since I did fully enjoy the story, I am giving it 3 out of 4 stars.

That Place of Knowledge is an important story that will appeal to a wide variety of people. Anyone looking for a light read that gets you thinking should try this one out. In the author’s note, Shalka says his goal is “to create something that is interesting and different that will inspire people in the future.” With That Place of Knowledge, I believe he has done just that.

That Place of Knowledge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like maggi3's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Nice review! I also read and reviewed That Place of Knowledge and thought it was something really special.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

stacie k wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 18:47 Nice review! I also read and reviewed That Place of Knowledge and thought it was something really special.
It was definitely a memorable read. Thanks for commenting!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I am a sucker for books told from a dog's point of view. This sounds like a great short story. I think it's great that the author is making attempts to change stereotypes about what it means to be autistic and/or non-verbal.
maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

esp1975 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 11:26 I am a sucker for books told from a dog's point of view. This sounds like a great short story. I think it's great that the author is making attempts to change stereotypes about what it means to be autistic and/or non-verbal.
Me too. There’s so many harmful misconceptions about being autistic and/or nonverbal, and I hope the author inspires more people to come forward with their stories to change them. Thanks for the comment!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”