Review by joshfee77 -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Review by joshfee77 -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pancake Money" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pancake Money by Finn Bell is a crime thriller set in and around Dunedin, New Zealand.

Detective Bobby Ress and his partner Pollo Latu are tasked with solving a series of brutal murders of priests, who are tortured to death in horrific ways. They believe the murders are linked to a Maori crime gang by the name of Manga Kahu. The investigation leads the detectives to a compound in Tegere Servare, a remote country area. Here, they find a Catholic church-run facility which aims to rehabilitate sexual deviant priests. Of the four priests who originally built the facility, three are murdered in the first three days of the investigation. The fourth remains on site, continuing to work.

The main theme of Pancake Money is that pain motivates human behaviour. Specifically, people will do anything necessary to avoid pain. Such pain might be physical, emotional or sexual abuse, or deprivation of a basic human need (food, water, air). If you subject someone to enough pain, you can change their behaviour. However, too much pain comes with a price. Sometimes, "you get more." And the "more" you get eventually becomes mental illness. It can be depression, PTSD, or even psychosis. Then, the person who has experienced too much pain may begin inflicting pain on others.

The plot is fast-paced and action-packed, gripping the reader. Bell's writing is punchy and crisp, short sentences with no unnecessary adjectives, making for easy and impactful reading. The book is written first-person and present tense, which is great for engaging the reader, especially in action scenes. The dialogue is strong and realistic.

The description in this book is graphic and brutal, particularly the crime scenes described by Ress. An early description by forensic psychology lecturer Ann Bowlby - of how one might use pain to change a person's behaviour - is also powerful and a little uncomfortable to read. The scenes with Ress's wife and daughter are a welcome counterpoint to this, a return from the detective's world of horrors to the comforting arms of family. Naturally, his wife Emma and daughter Eva both struggle with Ress's dangerous police life.

The climactic scene and wrap-up of Pancake Money are particularly satisfying. The loose ends of the story are tied up nicely, with explanation provided for many incidents throughout the story, some of which seemed relatively innocuous at the time.

The only slight negative for me is that I correctly picked the killer quite early. I do read a lot of crime thrillers, so my radar tends to be fairly accurate, but I was a little disappointed that the detectives missed the connection I made. Having said that, they were battered, bruised and exhausted, which would have made it far more difficult, so this was not unrealistic. It did not detract in any major way from my enjoyment of the book. I still found the ending exciting and satisfying.

This book was clearly professionally edited, with very few typographical errors. I identified only five in total.

Overall, Pancake Money by Finn Bell is an excellent crime thriller, which I would recommend to any reader of the genre. As such, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Pancake Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I enjoyed reading it. I do like a crime thriller that ties up all the loose ends and has a definite conclusion. I shall look out for this book.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am a big fan of crime fiction myself. Ironically, life dragged me into a situation in which I had to experience what a police investigation means first hand. I realised then that what you think you know is not exactly what you actually know. :) Anyway, I liked the topic of this crime thriller. You have to wonder what would make somebody kill a priest although I know many who do not deserve the title. Apart from this, I think it's worth investigating people's reactions to pain. Once again, you may think you know yourself and end up totally surprised. Great review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

This was a great review that clearly described and analyzed the novel. I appreciate that, even as I'm going to pass on this novel because I'm not into crime thrillers. It is interesting that the sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church is part of the plot, though.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 03:11 Great review, I enjoyed reading it. I do like a crime thriller that ties up all the loose ends and has a definite conclusion. I shall look out for this book.
Thanks Helen. Yes, it was definitely one of the better crime thrillers I have read. Highly recommend you read it!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

cristinaro wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 03:50 I am a big fan of crime fiction myself. Ironically, life dragged me into a situation in which I had to experience what a police investigation means first hand. I realised then that what you think you know is not exactly what you actually know. :) Anyway, I liked the topic of this crime thriller. You have to wonder what would make somebody kill a priest although I know many who do not deserve the title. Apart from this, I think it's worth investigating people's reactions to pain. Once again, you may think you know yourself and end up totally surprised. Great review!
Thank you. :) Sorry to hear you had to experience a police investigation first-hand. As for the book, the "pain causes mental illness" angle was definitely powerful and disturbing, and really elevated Pancake Money well above the average crime thriller. Highly recommended reading.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Irene C wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 16:43 This was a great review that clearly described and analyzed the novel. I appreciate that, even as I'm going to pass on this novel because I'm not into crime thrillers. It is interesting that the sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church is part of the plot, though.
Thank you. Yes, Pancake Money is definitely not one for the faint of heart! Particularly brutal description and concepts. Steer clear if crime thrillers aren't your thing!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”