Review by pinklover -- God Versus The Idea of God

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by pinklover -- God Versus The Idea of God

Post by pinklover »

[Following is a volunteer review of "God Versus The Idea of God" by Thomas Richard Harry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you believe in God? How?
Nobody likes to be proven wrong and theologians are certainly no exception.
What is your idea when you hear the word "God or gods?" Is God real? Is God not real or merely a product of human weaknesses?
In a January 1954 letter to the philosopher Eric Gutkind, Albert Einstein (who called himself “a deeply religious nonbeliever”) described the idea of God as a “product of human weakness.”
Will you agree with this idea? Why or why not? God Versus The Idea of God explains the common doubt of a Christian. The church original focus was on less worldly concerns and is claiming to speak for all aspects of life in preparation for the kingdom of God. Why does the church lose its followers? Are all the theologians right in their own opinion of God or gods? Why?

Thomas Richard Harry had more than 35 years of lay experience and exposure at the local church level who wrote this book God Versus The Idea of God; Divinity is what we think, Faith is what we experience. Writing is not his vocation, but his avocation because he is concern about the Christian's present status and their role in the society.

Harry's prologue captures my interest, especially the title "God and Me, a shaky relationship at best." His experience is a thought-provoking as well as the title in each chapter. I appreciate his elaboration of the Judeo-Christian portrayal and depiction of God. His explanations give a vivid idea of the Christians in the church today. Harry's church history will make the reader understand the background of the church and the way the people of long ago worship gods. They worship gods of the trees, the streams, the storms, the wind, the sun and all other terrestrial events. I now understand that even the ancient people attributed to the “spirits and gods” beyond their comprehension. There is a part in the human heart that will longed for a Creator.

Harry's book written in a layman's perspective and belongs to the nonfiction genre. I will recommend this book to all laymen, church leaders and pastors because they will easily understand the jargon and language style of this book. The book is useful for bible study or bible sharing because of his some questions that will give different views to the audiences. For example like, "What is the origin of the idea? Is it God?"

The book has nine chapters and each chapter does not have the same length of discussion. I do not have a negative comment because I understand his point with his theological concept. I did not meet any misspelled words or typos in this book. This book is worthy of 4 out of 4 stars because there are plenty of hints and insights that will make the reader realize his or her current condition and relationship with God. The Jesus Phenomenon also in chapter seven serves as a reminder to the readers.

God Versus The Idea of God
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like pinklover's review? Post a comment saying so!
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Zvjezdana Sever
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zvjezdana-sever.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Zvjezdana Sever »

Nice review! It sounds like the book is a good read for anyone who holds a respect for a religion or would like to learn more about the origins of the church and its teaching. I will look it up, thank you for your review.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

Your right Zvjezdana sever. Thanks for reading my review. Hoping for you will like this book.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

Wow, I like this book. I guess this one will help me to improve my Christian character. Thanks for the review.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

prinjeh18 wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 17:58 Wow, I like this book. I guess this one will help me to improve my Christian character. Thanks for the review.
Exactly! You will find this book full of insights and thought-provoking questions.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I'm very curious what the author had to say. Thanks for the wonderful review.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”