Review by PaigeA -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Review by PaigeA -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by PaigeA »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I loved this book. It is my favorite children’s book I have read on OnlineBookClub.org so far. Sigfried’s Smelly Socks by Len Foley is full of unique fun and creativity. It is a blast to read. I think both adults and children alike will find themselves laughing out loud.

The book starts out explaining why the book is in such bad shape. Apparently, it has been through quite a lot. Sigfried explains how each smelly stain got on each page. He left a rotten banana on page two. He used an old pizza slice to mark his place on page three. His dog peed on page four. I won’t even mention what his baby sister did on page six.

But Sigfried says that compared to all that, there is something that is even more gross and smelly--the pile of unwashed socks under his bed. At the end, he decides to wash his socks. (If you don’t like spoilers, skip this part.) We see him put the socks in water, add lots of soap, and start scrubbing away. The last page pans out to reveal that he is washing the socks in the toilet.

The text is written in Dr. Seuss style rhyming which adds to the fun. I think my favorite part was the illustrations. They are a mixture of real photographs and drawings. For example, the banana and pizza are pictures of real things. When Sigried talks about his pile of smelly socks, we see the sketch of Sigfried standing in a photograph of a child’s room. The drawings are fantastic. They have such character and unique style. The cover gives you a taste of the character of the book. And there is so much detail. You can notice something new every time you read it. For example, I didn’t realize until the second time I read it through that there is a very tiny fly that appears every once in a while occasionally making snide comments.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to children three to seven years old. I think generally, boys may be more drawn to the book than girls but both would enjoy it. If you are looking for a fun, funny pick-me-up, this book will do the trick. There were a few tiny errors I noticed, but I don’t think they were big enough to hurt the rating. This is a fantastic book!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like PaigeA's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I loved the end of this book! I was a little disappointed that the rhyming scheme sort of took an abrupt halt at the very end. I found this book pretty enjoyable and found myself reading it a second and third time to pickup on things I overlooked on my initial read. Children's books are so fun to review. There is something special about having the illustrations to go along with the text and trying to read imaging what a child's perspective would be.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”