Review by FawkesThorn -- Demon Freaks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FawkesThorn
Currently Reading: The Titan's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawkesthorn.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by FawkesThorn -- Demon Freaks

Post by FawkesThorn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Plans about the future are tested, the threat of death or memory whip and working for McDonalds are the only options. Demon Freaks captures the comedy and horror of the worst night for four teens. I personally will never look at McDonald’s or a golfing Association the same again.

Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison is a horror-comedy based young adult novel following four friends. Twins Ron and Bing and their band mates Kaitlyn and Meat take to Meats isolated house deep in the woods to study for the S.A.T.'s, the twins future plans depending on the scores. They don’t want to flip burgers at McDonalds like their parents.

Not really wanting to study Meat insists on practicing while they wait for Kaitlyn. While waiting for her, the three boys are plunged into darkness during an unsuspecting lighting storm knocking out the power, leaving them without the ability to call for help. Waiting for the lights to come back, the friends find themselves in deep trouble when their hateful History teacher appears drenched in rain and blood and wielding a dagger.

After fighting off a group of glowing eyed people and chasing a possessed friend leads them to a ravine. Separated from Meat and now Kaitlyn, Ron and Bing go on a search to save them. Meanwhile learning of a sinister plot to summon a demon that includes their friends. With demonic golfers and a psycho killing group battling for possession of the dagger, the twins sneak into the golfers building only to be chased by creatures in the dark. Recued be a group calling themselves McCommandos, led by someone very familiar to the twins. While the twins search for a way to save them Kaitlyn and Meat are prepped for the summoning by the golfers. Meat, Kaitlyn and the dagger come together psychically to come up with their own plan of escape.

After reading this thrilling tail, I give this book a 3 out of 4 rating. It was a little hard for me to get into the story, not that it was slow but the characters are introduced and then you are plunged into the story. No real time to get to know them. Also, there are a few inconsistencies within, mainly breakage between POV’s, there are times where there are stars lining the page to indicate a POV break and other times there is nothing, not even a double space. But nothing to warrant a two rating.

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like FawkesThorn's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

When this was book of the day I considered adding it to my bookshelf to read later. I couldn't make up my mind though. I thought it might turn out to be a little too juvenile. Your extensive synopsis supports that concern I had so I don't think I will read this book. I would have liked a more extensive explanation of the pros and cons. Do you think this is more for teens, young adults, or an adult audience?
FawkesThorn
Currently Reading: The Titan's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawkesthorn.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by FawkesThorn »

I believe it is aimed for the older teens like 15 and up but definitely young adult.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”