Review by Omoye+ -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Omoye+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omoye.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Review by Omoye+ -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Omoye+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero written by R. D. Base is a children's book with 30 pages. The targeted age group for this book is zero to four (0 to 4). It is the first in a series of "Toni the Superhero" paperbacks. The author is a mother of three boys who taught her kids how to read utilizing the method employed in this book.

It's a general belief amongst children that superhero is a character that fights crime and does extraordinary things using superpowers but this is not the case in this book as more ordinary human functions are focused on in this book.

The main character in this book is Toni, a little boy in a superhero costume. Picture illustrations are drawn on each page to depict the action written in simple sentences. In this book, the things Toni likes to do are listed on different pages with simple sentences. The fun things include reading, singing, dancing, drawing, jumping, playing and running. He is even shown to help with household chores such as washing dishes for his mum, sweeping, and dusting. Though a superhero, kids are made aware of his human nature through his ability to eat and sleep. He also is shown to help humans and animals alike as in the case where he rescued an animal on a tree.

One feature I admire so much about this book is the picture illustration and quality, thanks to Debbie J. Another very good feature of this book is the simplicity of words used though I think "terrific", a word used in the book may be a bit sophisticated for children in that age group.

The picture illustrations would give kids a proper understanding of what they are learning to read in the book. This book can also be read as a bedtime story to very tender kids or toddlers. The picture illustrations can help tender kids identify items and probably learn the names of new items in the book from their tutor.

This book is informative and would make kids understand some basic things like chores are necessary duties to be learnt especially when they can see in the book that it's a superhero doing these chores. It also teaches them to help someone, or an animal is a good behaviour.

Though there was no storyline in the book, the method employed to teach children how to read is superb and I believe would be very effective. I rate Toni the Superhero 4 out of 4 stars as I didn't notice any grammatical or spelling error. I would recommend this book for teachers of kids learning how to read for the first time to facilitate their teaching process as well as kids who want to learn how to make simple and correct sentences. I would also recommend this book to mothers that read bedtime stories to their toddlers.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Omoye+'s review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”