Review by Jamasenu -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Review by Jamasenu -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Jamasenu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Volunteer review of Ironbark Hill by Jamasenu

Ironbark Hill is a story about Natalie, a 16-year old girl that suffers violence and hardship at the hands of her step-father, Alex. She lives with Alex and her mother, Irma. She has three other siblings; Joey, Shirley, and Robyn. Her younger brother, Davey, died at an early age and that changed the happiness in her family tremendously. Her family is struggling to stay above poverty and she’s learning about life, its ups and downs, and where it will sometimes take you to places that you may or may not want to go and do things you never thought you would do.

The author took the time to describe each individual characteristic flaws and positive points. You instantly took a dislike to Alex because of his bullish ways. She illustrated the depths a man will go to have dominance over his family. To me, the author is describing an abusive man that loves to inflict pain because he does not understand his actions or wishes to control his emotional outbursts. The other characters were shown as somewhat docile, everyone except Natalie. As she gets older her tolerance of Alex is slowly evaporating.

I liked the fact that she never stopped learning even though she only obtained her intermediate certificate. I was a little stunned at the vocabulary she was using. She used words such as “Opiate, noviciate, ardour," and few others. The words coming from someone with the amount of education she has kind of surprised me until I read that she was learning with the Grover’s, Bruce and Rosemary. The best quote in the book came from Rosemary to Natalie informing her that she decides her destiny. “You set your own limitations in this life, Natalie, and that’s what you have to live with.” The author sums the book up in this one quote by giving Natalie the knowledge that she’s in charge of her life and what she chooses to do with it.

What I didn’t like was the affair between Natalie and Bruce (slight spoiler alert). She’s sixteen and he’s in his early or mid-thirties. I would have preferred if the author had focused more on the hatred within Shirley than the situation between Natalie and Bruce. The author was kind, however, not to go in-depth concerning the sexual relations they had. The other part I did not care for was the manipulation that Alex used at the end to make Natalie do what he wanted. It showed that people with addictions will do anything they can to relieve their need. There was at least one misspelled word and a few punctuation errors but not enough to hinder the author’s point of view.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author was able to deliver her perspective without losing the reader’s attention. She captured the essence of each individual using simplistic description, and she brought humor into a very poignant story. This book told the story of a young lady, in an abusive family that was determined to make her life her own. At the end, she did just that. This book I would recommend young females to read because there are some young girls that are dealing with similar issues as Natalie and needs to understand that life sometimes deals you lemons and you must learn how to change it to lemonade. This book would not relate well to men or women that are not willing to open their eyes to understand and see the destruction abuse has in a family.

Ironbark Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jamasenu's review? Post a comment saying so!
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I just added this book on my "to read" list. This is because I like your review and and I believe it suits me. I am currently 22 years old and my family has similar issues and I believe reading this book will help me understand Natalie's situation and how she managed to grow despite all the problems.

You also mentioned that she had Bruce who was a little too older than her. Well, I think it must be because of the lack of affection from the "father" that made her get attracted to someone older like Bruce.

Anyway, I will make sure to read this book as soon as possible.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

Mildred Tabitha wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 01:42 I just added this book on my "to read" list. This is because I like your review and and I believe it suits me. I am currently 22 years old and my family has similar issues and I believe reading this book will help me understand Natalie's situation and how she managed to grow despite all the problems.

You also mentioned that she had Bruce who was a little too older than her. Well, I think it must be because of the lack of affection from the "father" that made her get attracted to someone older like Bruce.

Anyway, I will make sure to read this book as soon as possible.
Thanks...I related to this book as well but I'm a little older and survived with just as much determination as Natalie. You will enjoy the book.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Such an inspirational story with useful lessons for young ladies. I liked your vivid and thorough review. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”