Review by KasieMiehlke -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Review by KasieMiehlke -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by KasieMiehlke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni is a young boy who is also a superhero. He finds enjoyment in doing everyday things. This is a beginning to read book that follows Toni in his everyday life.

This book has very simple words and short sentences. It is a perfect beginning book for children. The most complicated word found throughout the entire story is “Superhero”. The author uses the same technique in writing this book that she used when teaching her own children to read. The word “likes” is used very often. The repeated use of this word allows for children to make the connection to the word, the pronunciation, and the spelling. The words are simple so that the kids can follow along as they are being read to and are the perfect choice for the children to read by themselves as they start out on the journey of knowledge.

Toni doesn’t do anything superhero-like in the first book of this series, but we are told that later books will have him doing so. The first installment shows Toni having fun doing things such as playing outside, helping clean, and reading. The author is showing the audience that even superheroes need to do everyday chores. I believe this will help instill the importance of everyday activities and of hard work in younger generations.

The illustrations play a key role in this book. They are just as important as the word choices. They take up a majority of the pages and are very colorful, which helps keep the attention of children. The pictures accurately showcase the sentences, which will help with the children learning the definition of the words that are being used. The author, R.D. Base, and the illustrator, Debbie Hefke, did a fantastic job at collaborating with this work.

I give Toni The Superhero by R.D. Base 4 out of 4 stars. It is a very simply constructed book that will help beginning readers learn. The main character is a superhero which has the potential to keep the attention of the audience. The words are simple enough for parents to teach their kids to read and are perfect for children to read on their own. While I was expecting more superhero feats, I was not upset about the lack of them because Base shows how much fun he has doing everyday things. I highly recommend this book to anyone with a child ready to learn how to read.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like KasieMiehlke's review? Post a comment saying so!
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

A spot on, credible review of this children's book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”