Review by natashajones -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
natashajones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natashajones.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Review by natashajones -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

Post by natashajones »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I thoroughly enjoyed Diary of a Snoopy Cat from start to finish. Though it is listed as ideal for ages 5 through 14 ( and in some cases 8 through 14), the narrative kept my interest even as an adult. Both my 6 year old and 8 year old sons were also engaged during story reading times. However, there were some characters within the story that were a bit difficult for them to follow.

The book revolves around Inca, an intelligent, well-groomed and slightly telepathic cat with an insatiable hunger to become a world renown detective. Not to mention she is also hilariously confident but positive in nature. Inca has a wide network of family and friends that she introduces to us throughout. Each character carries their own individual situations, and most of it is explained in great detail which helps to clarify. There are some details that seem unnecessary, but in the end they all contribute towards helping the reader to visualize what is taking place. The particulars coupled with the illustrations worked well in keeping everyone’s attention.

Inca has an amazing Mom and siblings, of French background that are now living in London. There is also comedy around one or two of the family members that have an intense love for cheese. While this addiction seems it could be troublesome several times throughout the story, no major incidents directly related to it ever affects any of the investigations. The highlight of the story is the opportunity that presents itself for Inca to shine as the detective she desires to be, and of course without hesitation she literally jumps at this opportunity. She works closely with her siblings and their friend Monk, to help save a dog named Boss. Boss is a dog that Inca and the other characters were initially scared of. However, Boss has found himself as well as his owner in quite a pickle and this gives him a chance for bonding with the other animals and more. Inca sprints into action and seizes the opening to shine, by using her initiative. Though she is initially apprehensive her peers would think she is trying to steal the show, she is still tactful and her hard work and antics pay off wonderfully in her favor. In fact, the group decides to create their own detective agency with Inca as the leader. I have a feeling this will contribute to many more entries into the diary of Inca.

Additionally, Inca is learning from one of her favorite neighbors, who happens to be a world renown detective (Solo). Part of the story entails Raoul (one of their friends), that has gone missing while on an adventure. Solo and his support team seek to help Raoul’s family solve the mystery by investigating what occurred in the situation, first-hand. This becomes an escapade in itself that takes Solo and his team overseas. They would return at a later date to share all the details of their adventure with everyone.

The diary notations work well to define the timeframe as a countdown to Christmas, one of the most exciting times of year where family and friends celebrate together. The excitement climaxes gradually as it gets closer and closer to Christmas day. There is never a dull moment.

This book is clearly written with little or no grammatical errors and uses very expressive language to communicate. I would rate this book, Diary of a Snoopy Cat 3 out of 4 stars and I look forward to discovering more of Inca’s adventures.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like natashajones's review? Post a comment saying so!
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

Thank you for the review. Very well written.
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

Wow! A must get book for my baby sister.
Your review has been a major boost.
Now I know just what to get.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”