Review by Haute_Coffee -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Haute_Coffee -- Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Haute_Coffee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Natalie Chapman is sixteen going on seventeen, and nothing in her life is easy. Half Aboriginal, she faces racism and is an outcast at school. Her stepfather is an abusive alcoholic and holds an especially nasty grudge against her. Her family’s living conditions are poor, and Natty takes it upon herself to support them. Even her one safe haven, the home of her employers, becomes a source of trouble for Natty.

Ironbark Hill is a wonderfully written coming of age story that describes one year in the life of Natalie Chapman. Jennie Linnane shows mastery of language and rhythm, as her descriptions flow beautifully and are punctuated with clever turns of phrase. Early on, as Natty describes her villainous stepfather, she states, “Alex and Patience were strangers.” I love the way Linnane plays with words and allows the reader to truly feel Natalie’s emotions and places us solidly in her world.

As a protagonist, Natalie herself is very likable. She is courageous and rebellious, but she is not without fault. Throughout the story, there were times I was cheering for her and times I felt disgusted with her. To have a protagonist be so layered is a gift to readers, as it is so easy to relate to someone with good qualities who also makes plenty of mistakes. Natalie has dreams and ambition, and she sees her role in the family as a protector and provider; however, none of that stops her from falling prey to temptation. Her decision to leave school and work to provide for her family is a noble one, and her employer, Mrs. Glover, becomes a professional mentor to her. But then Natalie allows her romantic feelings for Mr. Glover to take over. As a reader, I want to shake Natty and warn this teen not to cause herself more trouble in the one place that could help her escape. But on the other hand, I can relate to the fact that her romantic feelings (not to mention burgeoning teenage hormones) cause her to be swept away.

The other characters in the story are drawn equally well. Natalie is tied to her family and is very loyal to them, despite the problems they have. While her stepfather Alex is her main nemesis, she adores her mother and is protective towards her younger siblings, including the difficult Shirley. Her grandfather is another personal hero to her and she views him as a tie to the past that she doesn’t really understand, as no one talks about the circumstances surrounding her father’s death. Although it is not always easy to live with her family, Natalie’s sense of responsibility towards them rings true, and it is easy to understand her feelings towards them.

One of the few things I disliked about the story was the ending. Towards the end of Natalie’s sixteenth year, there are some satisfactory incidents which allow her life to become a bit easier. She is willing to make a sacrifice to protect her younger brother, and karma seems to intervene. The result is gratifying for the reader, but as the story moves on into the epilogue, it was a bit disappointing to me. I hoped that Natalie would overcome all her hardships and escape her home life to become someone important. Her adult life is less glamorous than that but it is probably more realistic, and she seems satisfied with the way things played out.

I gave Ironbark Hill 4 out of 4 stars. The story was interesting, and I found the protagonist to be compelling. Most of all, the language and writing were excellent. I didn’t notice any errors and I felt the style really reminded me of classic novels. I feel anyone who enjoys this type of flowy, descriptive writing, and coming of age stories, will love this novel.

Ironbark Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Haute_Coffee's review? Post a comment saying so!
mudhearth
Favorite Book: Life As We Knew It
Currently Reading: The Dead and the Gone
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by mudhearth »

thank you so much for this review! i saw this book on the main page and while the cover appealed to me, your perspective sealed the deal.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

It sounds like this book has promise. Thanks for the review.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

To have a protagonist be so layered is a gift to readers, as it is so easy to relate to someone with good qualities who also makes plenty of mistakes.
So true. It's a real mark of an author's writing flair, too. This is another one that deserves to be in my reading list. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This book definitely seems like it has a lot of good themes that it discusses. I'm not sure it's a book that I would enjoy, and it's too bad that the ending is disappointing. Still, for those that like this genre, it seems like it would be a worthwhile read. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
En1608
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-en1608.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by En1608 »

kandscreeley wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 09:52 This book definitely seems like it has a lot of good themes that it discusses. I'm not sure it's a book that I would enjoy, and it's too bad that the ending is disappointing. Still, for those that like this genre, it seems like it would be a worthwhile read. Thanks!
I'm replying to you since you are one of the more recent people talking about this book. But anyways, am I the only person who really did not like this book? Like just about everything in it bothered me. And no one talks about the fact that it glorifies pedophilia which is just... weird. Idk, I found so many problems in it that I had more fun writing the scathing review than actually reading it lol
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book seems promising, despite the unsatisfactory ending. Thanks for the eblightening review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I agree with you that the author, Linnane, has a mastery of language and rhythm and uses beautiful descriptions of scenery and people. For you to want to cheer for Natalie and then want to shake some sense into her, made it sound like Natalie's character was developed well. You wrote a very good review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”