Review by Sarah Tariq -- The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The MECE Muse" by Christie Lindor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Today’s dynamic and uncertain environment has expanded the role of consulting manifolds. Regardless of the size of a business organization, its stakeholders move to consultants or consulting firms to redress their organizational issues and boost firm’s growth. This book demystifies the dynamics of this ever-evolving profession by sharing experiences and strategies, which consultants use in different fields.

The MECE Muse, 100+ Selected Practices, Unwritten Rules, and Habits of Great Consultants by Christie Lindor is a thoroughly motivational and instructional book on consulting that imparts practical knowledge on career strategies. It can help the business leaders to wisely select consultants and take advice on different functions of their business units. The author of this book, Christie Lindor, is a seasoned management consultant with 16+ years working experience. She has worked for top consulting firms like Deloitte Consulting LLP and IBM Business Consulting Services. So this book is a true reflection of her mentor experience.

The MECE Muse is a 336 pages book, divided into 21 chapters under three sections. The first section focuses on the personal skills required to become a good consultant like; showing manners, balancing professional and personal life, and developing networks, etc. The second section helps consultants to focus on performance and strategies to pursue a successful career in consulting. And the third section helps new consultants to wisely select the consulting path and align and update their skills according to the future business requirements and technological innovations (artificial intelligence, robotics, and cybersecurity).

No doubt, independent Consultants, and consulting firms have had a substantial role in all phases of business cycle i.e.; start, boom, recession, and recovery. And now, globalization has given them a unique role to cope with changing business environment all over the world. Because it is a very demanding profession, so consultants have to keep abreast of internal and external business dynamics in different industrial sectors. As Christie Lindor says, “In consulting ignorance is not bliss; it’s quite expensive.”

Owing to its importance in the global business scenario, this book will help consultants to develop constructive relationships with their clients, understanding workplace cultures and evolve better strategies to successfully get through the project transitioning phases. Moreover, it also offers the range of options to new aspirants, as to which path they should choose as a consultant. It also yields extensive information about consulting firms according to their size, prestige, and mode of work.

The MECE Muse is a very insightful book regarding consulting profession. I thoroughly enjoyed this informative book. Moreover, the addition of inspiring quotes and the patches of “motivational moments” shared by great consultants (performing in different fields) at the start of each chapter was a very refreshing element. At the end of each chapter, Christie has also added the interviews of consulting partners and leaders of different professional service organizations, who shared their experiences and unique perspectives. Furthermore, appendixes added at the end of the book are very useful in clarifying different consulting terminologies and background sources. I also like that the author has frequently used charts and tables to explain her point vividly. One thing I found incongruent is the font size and style of headings, which is a bit inconsistent. The author should revise it to make it comfortable for readers.

On the whole, The MECE Muse is an interesting guidebook to consulting, providing unwritten rules and practical knowledge on consulting strategies. The book is professionally edited with only a few minor mistakes. So I have no qualms about rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book is useful not only for consultants; but also for every person related to the management position can seek advice from this book. Even, it can opt as a textbook for business students pursuing their career in consulting.

The MECE Muse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't have a head for business, and it's something I've ever REALLY been interested in. So, I don't really think that this would be a good book for me. I'm glad that you were able to get something out of it, though. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 09:07 I don't have a head for business, and it's something I've ever REALLY been interested in. So, I don't really think that this would be a good book for me. I'm glad that you were able to get something out of it, though. Thanks for the information.
But I have a head for business ☺. Because I have educational background in business administration. So this book was according to my taste. Thanks for your Worthy feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

This sounds like it would be WAY over my head. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

RebeccasReading wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 18:38 This sounds like it would be WAY over my head. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great review!
Thanks for stopping by my review.

📕📖📰📓📕
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

This seems like a book completely geared towards professional consultants . I don't think it can be taken as just light informative reading.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

qsusan wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 10:26 This seems like a book completely geared towards professional consultants . I don't think it can be taken as just light informative reading.
Yes, it's not a light read, but a very good book for professional consultants. Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This book review just reminds me how happy I am that I'm no longer stuck in the world of consulting!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 09:45 This book review just reminds me how happy I am that I'm no longer stuck in the world of consulting!
Yes, its a very demanding profession. Thanks for your feedback Mayo.

📕📖📰📓📕
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I agree with your comment that this book could be used as a textbook for business students pursuing their career in consulting. It definitely would not be something I would pick up of my own accord. I hope this book can find its way into the hands of those who could most benefit from it. Thanks for your review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

stacie k wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 13:16 I agree with your comment that this book could be used as a textbook for business students pursuing their career in consulting. It definitely would not be something I would pick up of my own accord. I hope this book can find its way into the hands of those who could most benefit from it. Thanks for your review!
Yes this book will best serve those who are already related to consultancy or want to come in it.
Thanks for your feedback Stacie

📕📖📰📓📕
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I'm not interested in this genre. I think, I could never be a very successful businesswoman because I would surely take from my capital to help out people in need. I had been selling on online markets but I always use my capital mostly in helping others. So I usually end up having less money for capital. I'm glad you have learned something from this book.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

That's good you do philanthropic tasks. Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

This is a powerful book for businesses and cooperations. I may find it difficult writing a review for such a book due to the technicalities. You've done well. A good review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

kwame1977 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 17:09 This is a powerful book for businesses and cooperations. I may find it difficult writing a review for such a book due to the technicalities. You've done well. A good review.
Yes, it's specifically for business people. Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”