Review by Sitowise -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sitowise
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sitowise.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Review by Sitowise -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Sitowise »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The origin of sin and death can be traced back to the beginning of man's existence in the world when man gained the knowledge of good and evil. Did the act prompted man to be conscious of his appearance only? Does it have a role to play in man's perception and ego? The book Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William E. Combs provided answers to more questions that may surface in the minds of readers.

When God created man in his own image and likeness, he made man to enjoy the comfort and abundance of the garden of Eden. He gave Adam dominion over all his creation, yet Adam felt lonely. In addition, God created Eve as his companion. The serpent possessed by Satan deceived Eve, she ate the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil. Also, she gave Adam to eat and hence they disobeyed God's command. This act changed everything not only for Adam and Eve but for mankind. The comfort and abundance they reaped in the garden of Eden was turned into hardship and labour as they were driven out from the beautiful and fruitful garden. Their children were entangled with these consequences and Cain even committed a grievous sin. Can faith and righteous walk with God be a remedy to this predicament man found himself? The road to righteousness is not free of pebbles, there lies one troublesome opposition.

Reading through the first chapter, i was drawn to the author's detailed narration. I visualised each drama as the author narrated. I felt i was in the garden of Eden, the author's critical narration made sure of that. Though i have read other books about man's encounter in the garden of Eden including the bible but this book provided a refreshing perspective to me.

The author used one portion of the scripture to tell us what another passage means. He employed Hebrew meanings of English words in order to register the actual meaning in the minds of readers. The author in an attempt to deliver his message cited other works by some religious scholars including quotations from the bible. The book contains personal encounters by the author and analogies specifically introduced to elaborate more on his discussions. The discussion questions at the end of each chapter posed reflective to the reader.

The author's endnote features a web of knowledge. He gave a comprehensive recap of the ten chapters of the book. It accommodated sentences he critically analysed to give the reader a complete understanding of the messages conveyed in the book.

I like the author's usage of words coupled with the critical analysis done on the book. The use of Hebrew meanings to explain quotations from the bible made the reading refreshing to me.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The web of knowledge obtainable from this book hooked me. I recommend this book to the believers of the word of God, they will find this book refreshing to read. Believers struggling in the path of righteousness will find the elevation they need. Unbelievers of the word of God may have a turn around because there are potent messages in this book capable of transforming lives.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sitowise's review? Post a comment saying so!
TeenBookLover
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TeenBookLover »

Hello,
That was a really nice review!

But i don't really like books that have to do with God and God's world. I would certainly prefer people to read the Bible if they want to learn about God. Bible has a deeper meaning than it seems to have and each person understands the meaning in a different way, according to their own personality i can say.

Of course this doesn't mean that the writer isn't good. The author achieved to make you feel as if you were in Eden so that proves his talent on writing!!!
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

I'm currently reading this book and I'm reading reviews looking for details that I might have missed! Thank you for writing this!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I rated the book 4 out 4 because of the author's mode of writing and how he organized the book. Great review!
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This was the first book i reviewed and i wasn't disappointed. The way the author described the events in the garden was beautiful. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”