Review by wilykit104 -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
wilykit104
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilykit104.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by wilykit104 -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by wilykit104 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I will start my review of Heartaches 2: Bad Boy Vibes with the positive points and work my way through to the negative. The storyline itself is good, and held my attention fairly well. I have not read the first of H. M. Irwing's Heartaches novels, but I still managed to pick up the gist of the plot and was given a smooth introduction to each of the main characters in a relatively timely fashion. The ability to bring in one's audience part way through a series and catch them up with the backstory is an important test to pass.

Anna and Rafael (or 'Rafe', as he is referred to throughout most of the book), are both survivors of abusive relationships, sexually, physically and emotionally. As a couple they cling to one another, holding each other up in love and mutual understanding as they try to move forward with their lives; an ever tumbling cartwheel of strength and vulnerability. But their troubles are far from over as they struggle, not just mentally to escape from the turmoil of their past, but also physically, for their fomer abusers are not yet ready to release them from their torments.

The plot takes an interesting, twofold emotional twist about two thirds of the way in, but ends on a very abrupt cliffhanger, almost as if this book and the next have simply been sawn in half. There is also a slightly odd introduction to a new character maybe three quarters in, which isn't as smooth a transition as it could be. If I were to base this review on the storyline alone I may have given a rating of 2.5 to 3 out of 4 stars.

So why only 1 out of 4 stars? Well, this is the part where I talk about style of writing, spelling, grammar, and general plot development. In a nutshell: this book is desperately in need of an editor and a redraft!

The book is filled from beginning to end with the type of errors that won't get picked up by a spell checker. Words used in the wrong context, sentances that don't make sense, poor sentance structure, poor grammar. The style of writing tries to be dramatic and elaborate, but often ends up sounding clumsy and over-worded. At times, the overdramatic writing style drops off a bit and it becomes less laboured and more readable, but this in itself is also an inconsistency. There is also a lot of needless repetition, both in word-choices and informative content, which could be cut out or cut down. Finally, and this is just a small point, there are quite a number of nameless peripheral characters (particularly at the military college) who could have done with some building up. Overall I would say it reads much like a first draft in need of an overhaul.

In summary, I would say this book definitely has potential to become something a lot better. The storyline, though perhaps in need of a few tweaks, is generally very good. My main advice to the Author would be: get yourself a good editor. Tone down the flowery language and don't try to be too clever with sentance structure and wording. Simplicity is better and makes it more readable - you do not want your audience to have to reread a sentance to work out it's meaning. A good editor can help with this, as well as spelling, grammar, consistency and working on the general flow. As it stands I cannot give this book more than 1 out of 4 stars but with a redraft, a fresh set of eyes and a good amount of editing and polishing, it could become so much more.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like wilykit104's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's a pity that the spelling and grammatical errors overshadowed the story of this book. Hopefully the next one is an improvement. Thanks for the review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I was going to pick this as my next read, but now I'm not so sure. Thank's for the review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for th review. Currently reading this book too and hope to post my review it as soon as I finish reading it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The spelling of the word sentence in the review is 'sentance'. The error is repeated all over. Otherwise, the whole of it is good.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
wilykit104
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilykit104.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by wilykit104 »

Kibetious wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 15:57 The spelling of the word sentence in the review is 'sentance'. The error is repeated all over. Otherwise, the whole of it is good.
Yes, I know! One of my own common downfalls in spelling... Annoyingly, I wrote the review on my phone—easier than on computer when you have a small baby permanently attached—which decided to add "sentance" to my personal dictionary. :x

Live and learn! Will be finalizing the grammar and spelling on computer from now on before posting!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have read and written the review of Heartaches 2 by I.M Irwing. Anna Walters-Simmons acts as protagonist character in the story who suffered from cruelty, rapist and remorseless behaviors from her closely linked people. She is passing from a very poor condition full of grief but also trying to come back to its normal position with the desire of vengeance. Raphael Russo Brown, often called Rafe is the boyfriend of Anna and remains with in all of the difficulties suffered by her because all the conditions had also been suffered by him. The erroneous and disturbed mental conditions of both members bring them to a unity and match. Thanks for your great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”