Review by Cate Mbevi -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Review by Cate Mbevi -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Cate Mbevi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twisted Threads by Kaylin Mcfarren is a fiction series book centered on the theme of revenge. This theme unfolds around family, romance and betrayal. The blood-curdling events happening inside a cruise ship are introduced and concluded by equally hair-raising occurrences outside the ship. Just like its title suggests, Twisted Threads, thrives on heart racing twists and turns from the first page to the last.

The heroine, Akira, is such an intriguing girl that the reader will fall in love with and dread at the same time owing to her dangerous blend of innocence, passion and cruelty. One would think that Akira is the one on top of the game here. The girl with the revenge mission, knowing pretty much about everyone in the ship while very little is known about her and even that little is just but an illusion. However there is the Watcher. The Watcher knows and sees everything in this death ship from the ocean of blood behind Akira’s sky lighting smile, to the ghostly mysteries engraved in the hearts of the over kind ship crew, to the twisted history behind the lives of the extremely rich tourists. Throughout the book, Kaylin maintains her twists and only almost at the end does she reveal to the utter shock of the reader who is the Watcher. The woman with the long delayed vengeance mission.

I prefer thriller crime novels to romance but with romance and action running parallel to each other with heightened suspense from beginning to end in Twisted Treads, Mcfarren takes my preferences to another level. The Japanese names, words and cultural aspects also add flavor and originality to the story. I love the cover image. It does not fail to deliver on the thrill it symbolizes. There couldn’t be a better image for Twisted Threads.

What I did not like is the chapter titles. They made some chapters predictable while in other chapters there was almost no connection of the story with the title given. I would have preferred the chapters to be without titles or better still to be a continuous book without being divided into chapters. I also felt that the book was rather rushed at the end compared to the slow tension building pace it largely maintained previously.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is so engaging and all through captivating. A hard to put down book. It constantly kept me at the age of the seat. I recommend it to someone wanting to get out of a bad and boring mood as well as anyone looking for a worthwhile action and romance combination. It is well edited and I did not notice any errors. By the characters in the book, MCfarren seems to insinuates that, one can always shade away the masks forced on one by circumstances and reveal the beauty concealed there in. I totally indentify with that.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cate Mbevi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

By the characters in the book, MCfarren seems to insinuates that, one can always shade away the masks forced on one by circumstances and reveal the beauty concealed there in. I totally indentify with that.
Wow! I didn't realize this when I read the book. Thanks for pointing it out. I have enjoyed reading your review. Your enthusiasm is contagious!
I also reviewed this book. Please check it out at viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54266
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”