Review by Chill01 -- A Kingdom Forgotten

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chill01
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chill01.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill

Review by Chill01 -- A Kingdom Forgotten

Post by Chill01 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Kingdom Forgotten by author Charles W. McDonald Jr.
This book made me laugh at the onset when the author went to great pains to instruct the reader as to how best to read his book.
I know what you’re thinking… Holy crap! He’s giving me a reader’s guide! This can’t be good!
The author then wrote a narrative describing how to interpret the timing in the book that skips at an alarmingly frequent rate between various times and different worlds.

The writer has an excellent vocabulary, I found I had to look up words that I did not understand.This writer uses many long and flowing sentences that are filled with adjectives and is quite apt at giving the reader a vivid picture of places and events. He is very knowledgeable about his content, such as how to forge a sword and some aspects of architecture and decor.

What I did not like is that after I completed the whole book I still had no idea of what the book was about, and I had not developed any relationship with any of the many characters, most of whom die violently shortly after they are introduced, including a very young child that is murdered because she is innocent though it's unclear from the story what purpose that served.

The story involved so many characters that it was hard to determine who mattered but I think the main one was a very powerful mage named Damon, this person was described as evil by himself and by others and indeed he clearly did nothing to protect a woman with whom he had just engaged in sexual relations and who was killed shortly afterward by one of his friends, his actions were clearly not all good, but neither were they all bad.

This book contains a great deal of graphic violence and could be considered unfit for young readers or those sensitive to violence. It also had a lax attitude towards sex which could make some readers uncomfortable.

I only found 6 errors in the book which was 911 pages and these were minor and would not take away from the story in my opinion.

Because the writer did not give me any sense of connection to any of the characters in this book I am giving it 3 out of 4 stars It was not entirely unenjoyable and I do think some readers that enjoy violent books with adult situations may enjoy it.

A Kingdom Forgotten
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Chill01's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

911 standard pages? But no connection to the characters or understanding of what the book was about as a whole? I'm kind of surprised you gave it 3 stars with those descriptors. Well since you don't know what the book was about, I don't either :/ I guess I'll pass on this one for now. Thanks for the review.
Chill01
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chill01.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill

Post by Chill01 »

I gave the book the 3 rating because even though it was sterile regarding character development, the writer did write well. He was very skilled at describing events, and scenery. He simply introduced too many characters and none of them were memorable. New Characters were being introduced in the last chapter.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”