Review by Jesscar6 -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Jesscar6
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Jesscar6 -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 » 12 Apr 2018, 09:07

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diary Of A Snoopy Cat by RF Kristi is about a cat who writes a diary to record her adventures with her friends solving mysteries. It starts of by introducing the family tree, which includes herself, Inca, and several others, both animal and human. She also adds what she thinks of them and some other random thoughts in regards to her friends, family, curiosities and feelings toward special events and holidays.

Some of the choice of tone and vocabulary doesn't seem overly appropriate for the intended age range. An example of this is the use of the word 'rigmarole'. A child is not going to know what that means. Even some adults wouldn't. There were also a lot of characters and tangents that younger readers would find difficult to follow. It initially seemed like this book was going to be about a cats adventures of being a spy, but it quickly turned into a stream of consciousness and a mixture of different thoughts with no concrete and obvious direction. It needs better structure to it.

For a start, there were far too many characters that younger readers just would not be able to keep track of. There are also various writing errors. The books writing and storyline comes across as though it is aimed at younger readers and so, should be setting an example with the quality of writing. Even though children won't necessarily pick up on these mistakes, they still shouldn't be subjected to them. Books are meant to be a learning experience as well as for enjoyment at any age.

There were some nice illustrations within the book, however, with the way it was worded, I felt there should have been more in order to appeal more to a younger audience. Some of the language used wasn't appropriate and so more illustrations would have made up for that a bit. I thought the chapter layouts were good with it being by days as a diary should. It gives a younger reader an idea of timescale within the book.

My rating for this book is 2 out of 4 . Overall, it's a nice story for younger readers. I'm sure many of them would enjoy it. I’d also recommend reading the rest of the series to get a better idea of who the characters are. Personally, it really didn't hit the mark. There were far too many issues with the writing style. The intended age range wasn't made clear because of this.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jesscar6's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”