Review by Makena Mugendi -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Makena Mugendi
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makena-mugendi.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Makena Mugendi -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

Post by Makena Mugendi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R. F. Kristi is a fictional children’s storybook about the life of Inca, her family, and the people and pets around her. This is book five in the Inca Book Series. She is a Siberian kitty with a dream to be a world-class detective.

The book begins with an explanation of the family tree, whose members are the main characters in the story. We are introduced to her siblings, who are fellow pets.They are Cara, Fromage, and Charlotte. Cara is a prim and proper Siamese kitty, the apple of her mother’s eye, Fromage is an accident-prone, cheese-loving Tabby-cat and Charlotte is an intelligent Roborovski Dwarf Hamster. Then there are the humans, Missy, their Mom, and Aunt Florence, who is Missy’s aunt. Inca views herself as the leader in their little family.

We later meet her friends; Monk, a Blue Russian cat, Polo, a tiny Pekinese doggie and Terrance. Terrance is a Golden retriever who is trained in Canine Search and Rescue. He is a famous dog detective who helps in cases with his owner, Solo, and Hobbs, his assistant.

Inca’s chance to make a name for herself as a world-class detective comes when Raoul, Polo’s master goes missing in the far East, and the resident detectives, Terrance and Solo go to The Himalayas to bring him back. So, when Boss, a Rottweiler who lives down the street presents them with an urgent case, Inca, her siblings, and Monk are left to do the sleuthing after initial reluctance, as anyone would expect when cats are faced with a large, vicious dog. They manage to solve the mystery, save Boss’ home and restore his master’s happiness, all in time for Christmas.

This book is well written, with no plot holes or grammatical errors that I could find. The author was very imaginative and incorporated the right amount of personification, making the whole story more lively and interesting. An example that I loved is their ability to plan for the cold weather and dress appropriately so as not to get frostbite. The author has brought different dynamics to the story, giving it texture and different layers. This makes it not just a single story but several accounts that are eventually brought together to be one seamless piece.

I love the vibrant nature of the book and the different personalities of each character in the book. The way the pets interact with each other and the way the different story threads are brought together. I also really like how the characters of the animals reflect the traits of each animal, for example, Polo and Boss are typical representatives of their species. Also, we see the tentative unity between the cats and dogs, and how the cats overcome their natural dislike of dogs.

I also really loved the use of illustrations. They sank home the message being passed across. Though the words painted a clear picture of the events that unfolded, the images made it even more vivid in the reader’s mind. The illustrations capture the exact expression that the author was making with her words, and the words and images are so seamlessly weaved together that it is impressive to know they were done by two different people. It is funny without being silly and though it is a children’s book, I truly enjoyed reading it. It calls to mind Animal Farm but is packed with more humor and intended for a younger age group.

There were a few things I believe could have been done better. The relationship between the humans and the pets was not exploited to its full potential and there was a lack of proper punctuation in a few places. However, this did not detract from the great quality of the book, and for this reason, I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to young children who love adventure and animal stories. It is a great read and is almost guaranteed to be exciting to the children who read it.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Makena Mugendi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sarah Mugendi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sarah Mugendi »

I like the quality of your review. It is well written and I can see the attention to detail. Great job!
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Nice review. I've also reviewed this book, you can read my review if you want. I also like the personification of the cats particularly that of Inca.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

Wow, the book sounds to be amazing, I would love to get it for my niece who is in pre-school. I think images are amazing in these kinds of books, because they can facilitate learning and accommodate visual learners. Thanks for the review. :tiphat:
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I just read this one. I had never read the other ones in the series. I did enjoy it, it's humorous and unique, but there are a lot of characters to keep track of! That part was difficult. Definitely a book an adult and child can read together over several nights.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”