Review by APemby2232 -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
APemby2232
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apemby2232.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Review by APemby2232 -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by APemby2232 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pancake Money" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After reading Pancake Money I found myself wishing it wasn’t over. This book draws you in from the moment you turn the first page. Pancake Money is a detective and crime story that showcases not only every crime scene, but the bond, partnership, and friendship between two homicide detectives. You will follow Pollo and Bobby as they visit each crime scene, bounce ideas off of one another, and trust the others gut, even when there’s no evidence.

This book is definitely a page turner. I found myself, hours later, still engrossed in the book nearly reading it in one sitting. The story is told from Bobby’s perspective. I really liked the way the author captures the relationship between Pollo and Bobby It's a true testament of what a partnership should look like. You become part of Pollo and Bobby's team, falling in love with their characters. You go home with them to face the harsh realities of overworked detectives and the emotional toll it can take on a family and themselves. As you go through the story, secrets start to emerge as body counts rise, leaving Pollo and Bobby racing to get ahead to try and catch whomever is responsible, before becoming victims themselves. The author's ability to keep you guessing on which direction the story is going to go leaves you wanting more.

This book came along with a disclaimer due to the violence and other items that may make a reader uncomfortable. I do not feel this way at all. Yes there are crime scenes, although described well by the author; this did not make me feel that the book was so grotesque that disclaimers were required. I was actually hoping it was going to be far more gruesome and dark, but it lacked that for me.

This book gets 3 out of 4 stars. The reason it gets 3 and not 4 stars is because even though the author kept me in the story, I felt the book could have been more exhilarating than it was. Another reason why I didn’t rate it a 4 is because I don’t feel the book held up to the hype of the disclaimers.

Those who want an easy read that will capture you from the first page will really enjoy this book. Although the book could have gone several different directions I wouldn’t necessarily call it a thriller of any sort. If you are a reader of psychological thrillers, even with the twists and turns, this book may not be for you. However, if you are into crime or detective stories you’ll love this book.

Pancake Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like APemby2232's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”