Review by N1k0m1s -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
N1k0m1s
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n1k0m1s.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by N1k0m1s -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by N1k0m1s »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book takes you on a journey into the story (& troubles) of 2 people who are more similar than anyone could ever guess. Ever had a problem (big or small) you were not sure how to solve? Would anyone help (or even believe you) if you told them? Everyone has bumps in the road of life. Sometimes those bumps are easily traversed & sometimes they are chasms that seem impassable. Sometimes you may think you don't needed help. Sometimes you need help, but don't know how to get it or where to turn. Sometimes you can't even imagine asking for help at all. However, sometimes help comes in unexpected ways & sharing your burden can, indeed, lighten it.

I give Heartaches a 2 out of 4. It did contain some glitches which I wasn't sure if they were typos or grammatical errors or if they were just foreign speech that I didn't understand, or wasn't used to as an American (since it contains content referencing Australia). I also didn't catch any specific mention of just WHERE the book was set, (whether it was real or fictional).

I was excited to read Heartaches as I enjoy romance novels. And while I did enjoy the detail with which the author wrote. The visuals evoked from reading this book shifted between exciting & disturbing. There should be a caution disclaimer as subject matter may be disturbing to some readers. I was also displeased to see this was a "to be continued" book. I felt it was left unfinished in the hopes of getting readers to go out & read the following book, however it left me with a dread that any future books would also end unfinished.

I would give this book a chance if you are interested in unusual & taboo topics. However, if you are squeamish or prudish this is likely not for you. It is NOT your traditional Harliquin romance novel. With touches of the criminal underbelly of the world leaching into everyday life in unexpected ways.

I am tempted to search out the next book, but also concerned what else could be uncovered in a whole new book following these characters. It pushed the boundaries of what I was expecting & what I thought I would enjoy. Sometimes pushing boundaries can be good, but some lines are not meant to be crossed. I advise any readers considering this romance themed book to tread lightly & not assume it will be anything like they have read before just because it is listed as a romance.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like N1k0m1s's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”