Review by TanaMari3 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TanaMari3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanamari3.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Review by TanaMari3 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by TanaMari3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Puffy and the Formidable Foe is a children's book about a cat meeting a new animal. You follow the cat on an adventure in the woods, where it is finding other animals and new things. Puffy comes along an animal and has a new experience with it, before he goes home and tells the readers what happens when you come across this new animal.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was a good children's book, but I did not like the hand drawn pictures that looked like a kid drew and colored them. It made the book look less professional, and more like a kid wrote it. It kept along the story line well, eventually teaching children to stray from skunks, which is something they normally are not aware of. It had a fun and light tone for children, and had rhyming words on each page that were underlined so they could easily be picked out.

I did like the story line of the book, and I think it would be a good one for parents to read to their children. It teaches about skunks, and not going off into the woods and roaming around. It had a picture on each page, and gave something for the children to look at while you are reading. I also liked how it had a page in the beginning for parents to go back to after finishing the book to help the children learn about what they are reading. It gives the parents a specific list of things to ask the children to do, which makes it easier.

It does have a unique ending, a blank picture for a child to color. Though it is a good idea, it is only a one time thing for them to do. Instead of doing that, I think it would have been better to have the whole book colorless so they could color each page. The downfall for having any pages for children to color is that only one child can do it.

I would recommend this book, and would read it to my own children, especially when they are old enough to understand what a skunk is. There are no other books like this that I have read or even seen, skunks are something that aren't talked about to kids, and even though it is a fun book, it has a meaning to it.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TanaMari3's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”