Review by mevelyn132 -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mevelyn132
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mevelyn132.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by mevelyn132 -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

Post by mevelyn132 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi is a lovely children’s story about a cat named Inca and the adventures she embarks on with her friends and family. When two of her friends go off to save their owner, who happens to be a detective, Inca steps up to the plate to solve a case.

One of the things that I thoroughly enjoyed about this book was all of the illustrations provided by Jorje Valle and the team at Video Explainer. They complimented the text of the book very well. Also, I loved that the author supports the Cat Protection Trust of Sri Lanka. Another reason I enjoyed reading this book was because The Diary of a Snoopy Cat includes a little bit of mystery to keep the reader on their toes. I also enjoyed the change in font throughout the book. This keeps the pages visually interesting with bold font, different font sizes, underlining and bullet points. All these give the book a more diary feel. After all, this book is written as if it is a diary of Inca.

One of the aspects of the book I did not like was that the dogs in the book were very stereotyped. One of the detective dogs is a golden retriever who is portrayed as the “good” dog. Then, later on in the book, there is a rottweiler who is portrayed as the “bad” dog. His characteristics are tough and vicious as stated on page 53 of the book. In addition to this, the relationship between cats and dogs seems to be portrayed as a rivalry early on in the book, which is another typical animal stereotype.

After reading this book, I found a few grammatical errors. On page 4, the book refers to Cara, the Siamese kitty, as “mom’s pet”. This should be capitalized to “Mom’s” as they use the word mom as their owner’s name. On page 13, Inca wants to be called “Inca the Siberian wonder cat”. The “w” in wonder and the “c” in cat should be capitalized as this is her title. Additionally, I had some difficulty with the words in this book. On page 3, the word “topster” is used. The word “porkster” is used throughout the entire second half of the novel, but most notably on pages 85, 88, 89.

Children of all ages would enjoy this novel. It can be reading aloud or read alone. The language is very kid-friends and an easy read. Since this is a child’s book, there are great characters that all ages can relate to. There are dogs, cats and a hamster with all different personalities. Animal lovers would enjoy this book as well because almost all the characters are animals except for a few humans!

After reading The Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. This book is a good novel for children’s’ story time, but is riddled with grammatical errors and stereotyped themes. It was a pleasant read, but personally I found it tough to agree with the personalities of the characters.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mevelyn132's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”