Review by DancingLady -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Review by DancingLady -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by DancingLady »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon is a novel set primarily in the state of Washington on the Olympic Peninsula. Tom and his friends, William and Myra, are about to go on a long-planned hike into the Olympic National Park when a relative unexpectedly arrives and introduces him to his 13-year-old granddaughter, Sarah. Tom had not known he had a granddaughter but now finds himself with this girl in his care. Not wanting to cancel their trip, Tom and his friends decide to take Sarah with them on what will be her first hiking trip. While camped in the park, Sarah sees and sketches a bear. When she shows her drawing to the others, Myra identifies it as a short-faced bear, a creature believed to have gone extinct 12 thousand years ago. Although Sarah insists that she saw the bear, the others doubt her and assume she must have imagined it or drawn a modern bear with incorrect proportions.

Soon after this, Sarah disappears in the forest and is not found for 8 days. When she returns, she tells of an adventure that is even more fantastic than seeing an extinct bear. Sarah's story is unbelievable and must have been merely a dream or vision, yet the condition of her hands and her injured finger are explained perfectly by this story. Not only that, she returns having acquired new knowledge and skills. Did Sarah go back in time and travel among ancient people? Might her story reveal previously unknown or disputed facts about the earliest settlers of the Pacific Northwest?

Growing up in Oregon and traveling in Washington, I have some familiarity with the area in which this book is set. The author does a beautiful job describing the landscape of the Olympic National Park so that the reader can truly appreciate the beauty of this wilderness and the challenges it presents to hikers. Prominent in this story is an ancient atlatl, a tool for throwing darts. This artifact spawns lengthy and in-depth conversations about the history of the Americas, comparing the current theories proposed by archaeologists with the legends and beliefs of Native Americans. While I don't agree with the dates proposed by archeologists, it was nonetheless fascinating to read about these ideas and consider how the land has changed through the ages.

While this was a good book, there were a few weaknesses in it. When Sarah tells her story, her voice does not seem to be that of a 13-year-old. Given her background and personality as presented at the beginning of the book, I would not expect her to sound so much like an adult. I also had a hard time accepting the behavior of the animals in her story. These pre-historic beasts hunted humans and deliberately attacked a group of people without provocation. This leads to some intensely gory scenes. At this point, I really struggled to suspend my reality because this behavior is so unlikely in a normal animal of any species and strongly contradicts the Biblical understanding that all animals fear man. Aside from these two points, the book is very well written and edited.

I am giving this book 3 out of 4 stars because it is very good, but does have some weaknesses. I recommend this book for adults and mature teens who enjoy adventure and the outdoors. Those who enjoy learning about Native American legends and North American archaeology will also enjoy this book.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DancingLady's review? Post a comment saying so!
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

This book sounds really interesting, especially the historical aspect of going back in time and learning the true stories of the Native Americans. I only wish that the voice had stayed true to the age of the character. I really do dislike when characters suddenly seem so "wise" even though they are supposed to be children. It just makes the story awkward.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

BriennaiJ wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 14:53 This book sounds really interesting, especially the historical aspect of going back in time and learning the true stories of the Native Americans. I only wish that the voice had stayed true to the age of the character. I really do dislike when characters suddenly seem so "wise" even though they are supposed to be children. It just makes the story awkward.
It does make it awkward, but I think you can look past it generally speaking. If you are interested in the story I don’t think it will be a deal breaker for you.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This story is much fascinating and detailed description of characters and places makes it an awesome read. I have also reviewed this book. You can check it out. Thanks for your critical review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
DancingLady
Currently Reading:

Post by DancingLady »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 00:54 This story is much fascinating and detailed description of characters and places makes it an awesome read. I have also reviewed this book. You can check it out. Thanks for your critical review.
Thank you, I will.
Sketches_by_Shell
Favorite Book: Sketches by Boz
Currently Reading: The Druids
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sketches-by-shell.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Sketches_by_Shell »

Thanks for your review of Strong Heart, it is a good one! I enjoyed the way in which you share just enough information about the story to intrigue the reader without giving any spoils. I have read and reviewed this book, as well. I would say that some of the Native American aspects are coming through in that the bear appeared to Sarah, kind of showing her the way, and also not harming her. Similarly, I would attribute Sarah's mature speaking regarding her adventure as one of two things; either she is matured from her experience or, once again, the Native American belief system is showing its way through Sarah.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero
DancingLady
Currently Reading:

Post by DancingLady »

Sketches_by_Shell wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 10:10 Thanks for your review of Strong Heart, it is a good one! I enjoyed the way in which you share just enough information about the story to intrigue the reader without giving any spoils. I have read and reviewed this book, as well. I would say that some of the Native American aspects are coming through in that the bear appeared to Sarah, kind of showing her the way, and also not harming her. Similarly, I would attribute Sarah's mature speaking regarding her adventure as one of two things; either she is matured from her experience or, once again, the Native American belief system is showing its way through Sarah.
That’s an interesting way of looking at it. I don’t know enough about Native American beliefs to see things through that lens. Perhaps if there is a sequel we will learn more about it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”