Review by Helen_Combe -- Murdered by James Schannep

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Review by Helen_Combe -- Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murdered" by James Schannep.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Murdered by James Schannep is a ‘click your poison’ novel. This means that throughout the story, you are required to make a choice between a number of options and then follow the branch of the story that unfolds as a result. I tried one of these books (not by this author) when I was still in school and dismissed it as a fad. However, under Schannep’s pen, the genre (for want of a better word) has grown-up and this is definitely for adults and young adults who enjoy plot driven books. The story is told using second person narrative and the action takes place in Brazil during the ‘Carnaval’. You become separated from your friends and stumble upon a brutal murder. There is a gun nearby with a note that reads ‘pick me up’. This is the first decision point and the story expands from here.

There are three main stories, each of which have lots of little sub stories and dead ends. The main threads are very different from each other, so the book doesn’t feel like it is just repeating itself with small variations.

It’s a rollicking read with planes, boats, helicopters, motorbikes, cog trains, SUVS, sex, weapons, corruption, murder and mayhem. Everybody in this book is dangerous and that includes you. In its (somewhat) lighter moments, the story covers biofuels, the wildlife of the area, the jungle, the plantations, tourist attractions and the local food. There are also some humorous events and choices.

Schannep has obviously done a great deal of research into all of the topics covered by the book. He must have also done a great deal of planning. I particularly enjoyed the way the threads sometimes converge. In one example, a chapter is used twice. Coming at it from one storyline, Victor apologises for being a bit nerdy and boring. Coming from another storyline, Victor is apologising for something remarkably and humorously different. Sometimes the stories will run in parallel so in one story you’ll be on one side of the battle and in the next, you’ll be the opposition.

The only parts of the story that I struggled with both involved helicopters. The first was the Apache pilot’s eyes. Using them independently is one thing. I used to do that when I looked down a microscope using one eye, and drew what I saw using the other. Independent movement of eyes is a different matter. Eyes need to move together to give binocular vision and full depth perception. While it might be an advantage in an Apache helicopter, it would never be an advantage in ordinary life and certainly not when running or firing a gun (though I shall looking closely at Prince Harry’s eyes next time I see him on TV).
The other was when the helicopter (not an Apache) was shot and the charts were sucked towards the holes. Helicopter cockpits aren’t pressurised, so that wouldn’t happen.

I enjoyed the book very much and would love to be able to give it 4 stars. However, I found quite a few grammatical errors and one of the first hyperlinks to the next part of the story didn’t work. I can therefore only give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Murdered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

This sounds like a fascinating type of ecperimental writing. I've never read a click your poison book before, perhaps I should make this book my first.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

qsusan wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 00:31 This sounds like a fascinating type of ecperimental writing. I've never read a click your poison book before, perhaps I should make this book my first.
I recommend it 👍
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

It seems that author had spawn number of threads of different but related stories and branched it to main story thread. This make give some sense of the notion that it really happened. Nice book and nice review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

sanjus wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 09:48 It seems that author had spawn number of threads of different but related stories and branched it to main story thread. This make give some sense of the notion that it really happened. Nice book and nice review.
Thank you very much.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This read is a bit unconventional for me. But your great review sealed the deal; I am going for it. Excellent review, Helen.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 17:44 This read is a bit unconventional for me. But your great review sealed the deal; I am going for it. Excellent review, Helen.
Excellent, I hope you enjoy it. :tiphat: Thank you.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

This book sounds like a lot of fun. I have a game on my phone that does basically the same thing. You can pick what happens to you. Couldn't they be more creative with the title though? Talk about right to the point. Great review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 08:46 This book sounds like a lot of fun. I have a game on my phone that does basically the same thing. You can pick what happens to you. Couldn't they be more creative with the title though? Talk about right to the point. Great review.
Thank you. Yes, the title is a little unimaginative for such a complex story.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”