Review by qsusan -- Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Review by qsusan -- Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by qsusan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Demon Freaks, by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Harrison, is a fantasy novel which I would recommend as a good book for young adults and older readers who want to relax with a quirky story. The book follows the protagonists as they fight against freaks and demons. It is set the night before the SAT.

The book starts by introducing identical teenage twins Bing and Ron whose great desire, at least at the start, is not to be identical. Next to be introduced in the story is Meat who is easily satisfied by good food and obsessed with drumming. The last main character is Kaitlyn, who loves taking showers and is perpetually late. The four teens are shaken first by a thunderstorm and then terrified even more by the events that follow. The pace speeds up towards the middle as the goal posts are constantly moved, frustrating the main characters. Although scared, the twins and their friends step up again and again in the face of personal danger.

Will Meat be able to reclaim the sanctity of his thoughts, or will he be used against his desires? Can Kaitlyn help her friends to make the right decisions? What do the twins discover? Do they ever get any help? What roles do their teacher and others play? Will they manage to survive their travails?

On the whole, I like Demon Freaks. The plot is simple and a bit silly. I especially like the quirky nature of the book. I found the main characters likable, and the side characters were also amusing. Grunther who treated interns like furniture and was severely directionally-challenged was a particularly entertaining character.

My main dissatisfaction is with a couple of minor style issues. The transitions aren't handled well in the first half of the book, though this dramatically improves in the second half. The abrupt shifts interrupt the story and make the work less interesting. I would also have liked the author to have made the characters’ response to threats more consistent with their backstories, or better yet, have acknowledged the differences. However, I must admit that this discord does follow the overall style of the novel.

I did not find any spelling or punctuation errors in the book. The font and formatting also both allow for readability. The cover is quite clear in its hints of the storyline and has vivid graphics. However, I did not like the designs for the first letter of each chapter. I found them distracting and confusing.

Although Demon Freaks starts out slow, it is still interesting and an amiable read. The ending is also executed well and hints at a sequel. I enjoyed the novel; however, I am not certain the general public will persevere through its lackluster start. I would give this book a rating of 2 out of 4 stars.

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like qsusan's review? Post a comment saying so!
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

Thanks for the review. I'm sad to see a 2 star review for this author because I really enjoyed his first novel, Fish Wielder, but I appreciate your honesty.
qsusan

Post by qsusan »

ScoutWrites wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 14:36 Thanks for the review. I'm sad to see a 2 star review for this author because I really enjoyed his first novel, Fish Wielder, but I appreciate your honesty.
Thankx fof your comment. I've also read Fish Wielder. Although this book isn't as good, it is also interesting. But it takes a while to get past the slow and less lucid part in the first third of the book.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I agree with the characters responses to threats. Although, because it was a satire, I let it go as comedic value.
Thanks for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
qsusan

Post by qsusan »

Bianka Walter wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 03:19 I agree with the characters responses to threats. Although, because it was a satire, I let it go as comedic value.
Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your comment. I personally felt the discrepancy in their responses was pushing the limit of what could legitimately be described as comedic undercurrents.
qsusan

Post by qsusan »

This is a comedic piece of work. The twins are fun to follow but the supernatural angle, apart from a talking dagger, doesn't really come across.
NneomaA
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NneomaA »

Thanks for the review. I haven't read Demon Freaks yet so your comments are helpful. Based on your rating, will you say this isn't one of Hardison's best books?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”