Review by Makena Mugendi -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Makena Mugendi
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makena-mugendi.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Makena Mugendi -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Makena Mugendi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H Coles is a fictional book about the life of Dr. Hiram McDowell, a brilliant neurosurgeon who has many flaws in his character. In fact, I would say his negative characteristics far outweigh his positives.

The book begins with Doctor McDowell on a climbing expedition in the Himalayan mountains in Nepal, where he leaves one of his climbing partners to die on the mountainside and takes his oxygen tank for himself. This sets the tone for the rest of the first part of the book. He is distant from his children and unapologetically unfaithful to his third wife, Carole. He is portrayed as a lecher who objectifies women and lies to his son about insignificant things. He cheats a colleague, Michael O’Leary, out of a deal he made with him as a ploy to become the president of the International College of Surgeons. However, it becomes obvious as the book continues that he loves his children, Sophie, Billie, and Ann. The children struggle with their own problems: Billie with a lack of ambition who impregnates his step-sister, Ann who has a difficult marriage and even more difficult children and Sophie, who is burdened with an inconsiderate, unfaithful partner and roommate who leaves her with low self-esteem.

Sophie finds her calling in exposing the injustices done to women, and gender inequality in different societies and cultures. She goes to Asia, where she is introduced to Paige Sterling, a popular journalist assigned to cover McDowell’s story. Public perception of Dr. McDowell is that of a reputable man with many charitable works, but that changes when Ann’s son Jeremy goes on a rampage, committing multiple murders and attempting to kill himself. The last nail in Dr. McDowell's coffin comes when he is convicted of Jeremy’s murder. He breaks out of jail and goes on the run with Sterling and the police on his tail, where he meets Maud and her family. In the end, he begins to change to the opposite of what he was. He is still certain that he does not deserve his current lot and the complete metamorphosis of his character occurs when he meets Winona and Kitsy, his friends on the last leg of this story. The final part of the story demonstrates his growth as a person, contrasting the selfish man in the beginning to the kind, selfless man at the end.

Dr. McDowell is a study in contradictions. He is driven yet selfish, absorbed only in the pursuit of wealth, success and fame. At first, it is easy to dismiss Hiram as an irredeemable man; as a doctor with little to no regard for the Hippocratic oath, an unfaithful husband and distant father whose roaming ways cause pain to many. I saw him as a man with no compassion for anyone, not even his wife and children. As I continued reading, however, I started to see the positives in him. Just when I began to write him off, he would do something kind and thoughtful that would make me like him again. It is unclear in the beginning whether he is intentionally cruel or just self-serving, and that deliberate ambiguity is a negative for me because it increased confusion on his character.

This book has a lot of sensitive subjects such as murder, cruelty to animals and degradation of women, but these themes are handled perfectly. On other writers, it may have seemed too underdeveloped or too violent. Yet he strikes the perfect balance between the two, using explicit scenes in some areas and euphemism in others. He weaves the stories of each character perfectly, creating a connection between them all, showing the good, the bad and the grey areas. He incorporates themes that are an important part of today’s society, such as greed, poverty, gender inequality, the justice system, gun violence and the police force among others.

The author also takes us deep into the world of medicine, where this story is based. He makes the unfamiliar seem real and simple to readers with no experience in the field such as myself. He reveals the good in even the worst of us, the humanity that soils even the best of us and the web that connects so many individuals and the impact each of them has on the lives of others. For all the reasons above, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

This was a very enjoyable read for me. I do wish he had lingered on some topics, heightened the tension a little more, but it is still a very well written book. This book is a great choice for any readers interested in a medical drama that can be read over the span of several days. This book is perfect to unwind after a long day.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Makena Mugendi's review? Post a comment saying so!
DiJon_Kariz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DiJon_Kariz »

A proper review and depiction of the book. I can say as much that it brings me closer to actually reading it with much needed enthusiasm. Was a bit biased towards the writer, but at the moment feel a fervent desperation to glance at it.
Sarah Mugendi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sarah Mugendi »

I will definitely be reading this when I get the time. It sounds really interesting.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

It's interesting to see a different perspective on this book. I agree that there were a lot of important themes throughout, those were some of my favorite parts when I read it. Great review!
Salome Yakubu
Favorite Book: A Day in Eternity
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Salome Yakubu »

I see this book as it is talking to the society,because most of what this book carries is 100% of what the people are experiencing,example:unfaithful husband and wife,disobedient children,kidnapping,etc.The book is very educating.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Hi, Makena Mugendi, I read your review of the book, McDowell by William H. Coles. This is the exact review that explains the story of Hiram McDowell. You have separately described all the characters and we can easily recognize by your review about who is who in this story.
I appreciate you for carrying on your hardworking to introduce such types of reviews more beautiful than this again and again. Regards
Judylaboso
Currently Reading: The Boy Who Met Jesus
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judylaboso.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Judylaboso »

Great book, this is a good review.
John Makathimo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-makathimo.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by John Makathimo »

Great review by Makena and covering an otherwise complex menu of human frailties only epitomised so vividly by a highly educated person. "The well of hope never runs dry" is my take home on this genre. I am encouraged to read this book when I have a moment.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

You did a good thorough review👍 i recently finished this novel and it was really enjoyable. Author's defending attitude towards euthanasia was disturbing but overall a great story.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”