Review by singlemommyof3 -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
singlemommyof3
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singlemommyof3.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by singlemommyof3 -- The Reel Sisters

Post by singlemommyof3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Once mastered, fly fishing is a sport which used to be dominated by men, but has become very popular among women. It can be a relaxing way to lose yourself from the rigors of your day to day life and all of its nuances. Although it can be an expensive hobby to pursue, there are ways around financing that can be very beneficial and very advantageous for everyone. It's not about strength, but speed and can be learned within a weekend with no experience.

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings was far more than I was expecting even after reading the preview. A very nice surprise it turned out to be. I loved how each character was introduced with their own personal background and then the common thread for everyone. You have an older seasoned fisher, Rose, business woman, Veronica, who uses the principles of fly fishing in running her business, nursery owner, Sophie, whose so broken by love, she subconsciously sabotages any new chance for love for fear of being hurt, Amanda, a very young mother of two whose husband is deployed, and Melody, a renegade exhibitionist who just happens to be a prodigy. 

This very diverse group of friends forge a sisterhood around fly fishing, which they each fall in love with. What is especially touching is how their friendship extends far beyond just their weekend get aways. Their there for each other in each other's time of need. They become family like and very supportive of each other.

Michelle Cummings makes these characters so relatable and so real. They have such a good time together. It made me want to go out with a group of my friends and take part in a group fly fishing lesson. The flow from one character and their life to the next flowed with such ease. I had no problem following each character separately or whenever they were together as a group. Each and every turn was deliberate, distinctive and real.

I rated this 4 out of 4 because the imagery it invokes is excellent. I could see myself witnessing every aspect first hand as if I were a part of the story. An EXCELLENT job. This book would definitely appeal to avid women fishers, such as myself. It may also not appeal to many because of how the book flows/jumps back and forth from one character to the next and back again. I thoroughly enjoyed it very much.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like singlemommyof3's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. But I do think one can learn a lot about these women's personal challenges. Thanks for an interesting review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Adeleye Seun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeleye-seun.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Adeleye Seun »

The book's natural passages, which transported me to the river and gave me a sense of the breeze, were my favorite portion.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”