Review by Javier Campos -- Fish Wielder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by Javier Campos -- Fish Wielder

Post by Javier Campos »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fish Wielder" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fish wielder is a funny and wonderfully written book that turned out to be quite a memorable experience for me as a reader. This novel’s plot is a magical adventure which unfolds slowly and makes the best possible use of locations, characters, and in-world mechanics. There is an amazing level of detail put into its narrative that took me by surprise.

The story is about the heroic deeds and everyday life of Thoral Might Fist, a superb warrior with superhuman skills and abilities, strange and refined habits, drinking problems and quite possible a troubled past. He wanders about the land looking for adventure alongside his companions: Bradfast, a smart land-bound fish and Warlordhorse who is simply a horse with cool looking fur and the ability to smell fear. Together, they ride to endless adventures all around Grome, a strange land inhabited by magical creatures and monsters.

But one day, while traveling, they come across an abandoned castle in the middle of a ruined kingdom; the castle serves as a lair to an evil sorcerer who happens to be in the middle of some sort of evil scheme. Thoral and his companions engage him and manage to foil his plans while rescuing a captive princess in the process. What they don’t know is that this was just the beginning of an even bigger and more epic adventure. An adventure where they will meet many new allies and where they will find answers to some of the strangest mysteries in the land of Grome.

Now, vast magical lands, strange creatures, and magic are nothing but overused clichés to some readers. These tropes and archetypes have been used over and over for many decades now and in all kind of stories; they seem to appeal to our psychology in the most primal way and we know we will keep on seeing them in the years to come. However, some readers might not be aware of one literary genre that also makes use of these elements but in a unique way, a magical realm called “comic fantasy”.

Modern Comic Fantasy is an actually well-known fantasy subgenre that somehow seems to elude some people. A genre where the stories are defined by fun observations about the ways of life in a fantasy setting. And as it is with all literature, here, the best novels not only stand out due to their witty comedy but also to clever writing and actually unique stories with equally unique characters. This sub-genre is not only about poking fun at the usual tropes found in fantasy tales but also about adding new value to the things we have already seen before.

It is for these reasons that J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison’s work turned out to be amazing to me. In my opinion, his writing in this book is flawless and colorful; you go easily from sentence to sentence and the novel truly reads like both a serious fantasy tale and as a work of comedy as well. The humor was a key element to both the story and the characters and the book was filled with surprises and twists that pushed the plot in new and fresh directions while maintaining a lot of comedic value.

It is clear that the author took into consideration the way the characters and the events in the book are presented to us as readers and he clearly used this to his advantage while crafting the story. For example, some characters might appear two-dimensional at first, like Thoral himself, but that’s the point, he is not a man without flaws and discovering that will be another adventure altogether.

And really, the thing I liked the most about the book is the way he respects his own work. Some comedians and some comedy stories add cruel or gross bits at the most inappropriate moments with the hopes that this makes for good comedy, it rarely does. While Fish Wielder does have lots of PG-13 moments with graphic violence serving as jokes, there are also many serious bits where strong emotions overwhelm the characters and the author knows better than messing up the moment with a misplaced “funny” comment or something similar.

It is all thanks to this that I can say I loved reading every single page of this book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars while adding that I normally like to include at least a small paragraph listing negative things I didn’t like about each book that I review, but for this one, it was not possible at all. All my initial complains (this character is two-dimensional, that bit of the story makes no sense, etc.) turned out to be simply a small part of something that would later prove to be a larger and wonderful thing. It was marvelous to read such a silly novel that made me care about the characters and their silly lives so much and I definitely recommend it to anyone.

Fish Wielder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Javier Campos's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Your enjoyment of this book really shines through in your review! I appreciate that the author knows when to be serious and when to be funny. It sounds like a truly unique book! I’ve never read anything like it! Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

You seem to have really enjoyed this book! Great review! I might have to pick up a copy of this one, even though I tend to dislike fantasy-comedy novels.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Javier Campos »

BriennaiJ wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:52 You seem to have really enjoyed this book! Great review! I might have to pick up a copy of this one, even though I tend to dislike fantasy-comedy novels.
I thought it would be simple or even bad but it turned out great! Thanks for your comment!
Javier Campos
Currently Reading:

Post by Javier Campos »

stacie k wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:34 Your enjoyment of this book really shines through in your review! I appreciate that the author knows when to be serious and when to be funny. It sounds like a truly unique book! I’ve never read anything like it! Thanks for a great review!
My enjoyment here was impossible to hide :D Thanks for your comment!
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Modern Comic Fantasy is an actually well-known fantasy subgenre that somehow seems to elude some people. A genre where the stories are defined by fun observations about the ways of life in a fantasy setting.
Ah, I hadn't known this. Thanks, and thanks for this review. It is so rare to discover a novel that you feel is basically perfect.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Javier Campos
Currently Reading:

Post by Javier Campos »

Irene C wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 20:30
Modern Comic Fantasy is an actually well-known fantasy subgenre that somehow seems to elude some people. A genre where the stories are defined by fun observations about the ways of life in a fantasy setting.
Ah, I hadn't known this. Thanks, and thanks for this review. It is so rare to discover a novel that you feel is basically perfect.
I know I found one that is perfect to me here! Thanks for your comment!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

This is a very detailed review. I could picture out a whole comic book of the adventures of Thor, and his companions - a fish and a horse with their special attributes. You can sell a book with your review. Congratulations! 😀
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I’ve been wanting to read this book for a while now, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I loved your review!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm really glad you enjoyed this book! I would recommend that you read Demon Freaks next, especially if you enjoyed this one :)
Thanks for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I felt the same as you when I read this. I thought it was great fun and then it started throwing truly unexpected curves which set it apart from other fantasy comedies. I gave it 4 stars too.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Wow, this review's got me speechless! It's crystal clear how much you relished your reading experience! I remember when I also read the sample on BOTD and how much the story lingered in my mind. I definitely will be picking it up, thanks to your awesome review!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I've also reviewed this book and I enjoyed reading it. I wholeheartedly agree with your analysis and your point of view on the book's writing style.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Thank you for explaining about modern comic fantasy. A lot of us do not know of its existence. I am glad you enjoyed the book so much, I can see that from the way you write about it. Thank you for the nice review!
Javier Campos
Currently Reading:

Post by Javier Campos »

Dolor wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 13:42 This is a very detailed review. I could picture out a whole comic book of the adventures of Thor, and his companions - a fish and a horse with their special attributes. You can sell a book with your review. Congratulations! 😀
Thank you :D :D :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”