Review by bootsie0126+ -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Review by bootsie0126+ -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by bootsie0126+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murder in Memory" by Mike Thorne.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever watched a science fiction movie that had some of the coolest futuristic gadgets, and wishing you had one? In 1979, while sitting in a movie theater watching “Men in Black,” Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) and Agent J (Will Smith) used the Neuralyzer, to erase and implant new memories into those affected. It’s a good thing this only happens in science fiction movies, because this capability could be dangerous in the hands of the wrong person. In Mike Thorne’s “Murder in Memory,” fiction becomes reality and what may seem real, really isn’t.

In the small town of Harper, where the main function of the police department consists of writing parking tickets, police chief Nolan Grady, has the difficult task of catching a killer. Two college students have been brutally murdered on campus. As chief Nolan searches for clues, the lives of the deranged Dr. Henry Andrews - who unethically implants false memories into his patient; Jon Evans – the passive English instructor who is married to conniving Doris - who is cheating on him with David Parker - another policeman, are intertwined in this suspenseful thriller. The author skillfully paints a picture of a typical small town where the community is centered around the college, everyone knows everyone, the spread of gossip is swift, and secrets are nonexistent. The murderer can’t stop killing but knows his time is running out, he is bound to be recognized. A calculating plan to throw suspension on someone else, Dr. Andrews (not a spoiler, because the author reveals the killer by the middle of the book) implants false memories of murder into Jon Evans. In addition, a few suttle hints from Doris, insulating that Jon maybe the killer, has Nolan searching down the wrong path.

“Murder in Memory” is a fast-paced book, with well thought out characters, and a few twists and turns, this book will keep you wanting more. Not a typical murder mystery where the killer is revealed at the end, the author creatively gives the reader a surprise ending. For all the mystery sleuths who love a good, who-done-it novel, I highly recommend this book.

I enjoyed this book because the true to life characters that the author created, allowed me to connect with the story. The fast read and dynamics used in creating attributes associated with a small college town helped guide this book along. What I enjoyed the most about this book was the ironic twist at the end of the book. In spite of the killer’s identity being introduced early on, the author crafted a web of suspense that kept my attention.

There were a few grammatical errors found in this book but did not affect the rating of 3 out of 4 that was given. The one thing that I did not like about this book was the author’s reasoning behind referencing each characters name in a every conversation. It was as if the author was afraid the readers would not remember who was having the conversation. For this reason along, I could not give it a higher rating. All in all, a good piece of work.

Murder in Memory
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bootsie0126+'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

Wow, it sounds like you had a great time reading the book, but I don't blame you, the book sounds to be interesting. It is always a great experience when one connects to the story, and can sort of try and predict what's gonna happen next.
Thanks for the amazing review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

mtsnel006 wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 13:09 Wow, it sounds like you had a great time reading the book, but I don't blame you, the book sounds to be interesting. It is always a great experience when one connects to the story, and can sort of try and predict what's gonna happen next.
Thanks for the amazing review.
I joke with people that know me about the notion that is only in my head that I am a detective in the making. I guest that is why I love mystery and thriller books. A great who-done-it that leaves me guessing to the end has always been a delight to read. Sometimes I am able to predict the outcome and when I'm not, thats ok too.

Thanks for the comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”