Review by toyinafolalu -- Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
toyinafolalu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toyinafolalu.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Review by toyinafolalu -- Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Post by toyinafolalu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Elastic Girl" by Olivia Rana.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Elastic Girl is an adventure fiction,written by Olivia Rana and dedicated,with love to the memory of her late father.The author systematically unfolds the events in the plot outline to reveal copiously the themes of deprivation,degradation and child trafficking,using the first person narrative technique from the point of view of Muthu Tikaram who is the main character in the novel.The setting,plot outline and images are intricately interwoven to convey and highlight the themes of injustice and cruelty that are prevalent in India and how a girl child is negatively affected.Olivia Rana's exposure to the Indian cultures and traditions is reflected in the development of the novel.

The setting of the novel is India.Devesh Tikaram and his family live in Kallikuppam,from where they move to Ambattur and then to Chennai.Muthu Tikaram,whose birth is unwelcome is nicknamed Elastic Girl after she survives a fall without breaking a limb.Muthu is neglected to sell bread while her sisters,Safa and Belli attend school.When Muthu is eleven years old,Devesh(Dadi) sells her to the Great Ramam Circus.

The theme of child trafficking is highlighted at the circus where parents have left their children in return for money.Gloria and Muthu run away from the circus at Mumbai but they encounter worse ordeals in the hands of Baba who further leads them to prostitution.Muthu returns to her parents but realizes that she actually belongs to the circus after Mr Mody, the Varuna of Ambattur reveals to her, her identity.Back at the circus,Mr Prem's disappearance enables the Chandhok brothers to bring in Mr Rankumar whose tenure brings in'freedom that is never imagined'.When Muthu is sixteen years old,she is in love with Mr Kalpal(Raksha).Mr Kalpal,however dies of'dengue fever',leaving Butra, the flower seller to care for Muthu and her son, Kautik.

I like the novel because it is captivating,unveiling in sequence the ordeals of a trafficked girl in India.I like Muthu for her bravery,perseverance,determination and continued optimism.Devesh Tikaram is a pretender.He pretends and tells Amma that he is into big contracts while he shines shoes.I hate the way he sells Muthu to the circus.He is the darkest character that shapes Muthu's destiny.The best part that I like in the novel is the arrival of Mr Rankumar whose tenure witnesses unprecedented reforms at the circus.The ending of the novel is sad and reveals that probably Muthu is doomed and no one is ready to rescue her in the right path.

I would recommend the Elastic Girl.It'd expose one to the cultures and traditions of the Indians.The author,Olivia Rana has done a beautiful job in exposing injustice done to the girl child.I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the book is written in simple English Language that it can easily appeal to even a teenager.The language that some of the characters use aren't perfect though but it is a reflection of what happens in real life in those circumstances.The events in the Elastic Girl can easily be corroborated with true life.The book will appeal to the girl child because the themes center around the girl child.The book will also appeal to Philanthropists as it will serve as a clarion call for them to give adequate attention to the burning issues which the book addresses.The book will least appeal to Entrepreneurs who are out to exploit people because they want to be famous.

Elastic Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like toyinafolalu's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great read. I find the subject of modern slavery so sad.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I just read this book. A good read, well written, but some parts were hard to get thru.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”