Review by qsusan -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Review by qsusan -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by qsusan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches 3 is the third book in a romance series by H.M. Irwing. The novel is about Rafael and Anna, two damaged individuals who fell in love with each other despite or perhaps because of their wounds. Rafael and Anna face the return of an old love and the accompanying memories. They hatch wild plots to prevent a wedding and protect Rafael’s aunt while trying to bring down the Preston-Dayton drug syndicate. All this while battling nightmares and their own personal demons. Aiding them in their endeavors are their friends, other victims of the syndicate and militant avengers of past victims. Surprisingly, old enemies of Anna’s also joined in as doubtful comrades in their fight.

Rafael, desperate to accomplish a seemingly impossible task, schemes to join the dark side and defeat it from within. However, bringing down a syndicate has never been an easy task, can his foes be so easily defeated? Anna though is determined not to lose Rafael irrespective of the price she has to pay even if that price is her former lover and nemesis cum Rafael’s half-brother, Matt Preston. Will Rafael let Anna risk herself and their relationship this way or will Anna’s desire to protect Rafael win out? Rafael and Anna are both desperate, both determined; but can they win against the very criminals that broke them before?

The book had a good mix of romance and thriller, a trait not always seen in novels of similar length. The erotic content is also well written and does not flood the story nor negatively affect the creativity of the plot. Although this book is the third in the series, the story was easy to understand as the author subtly provided key background information whenever it was necessary.

Unfortunately, I felt the sentence structure, and language style of the novel was sometimes unstable, leaning towards an artsy arrangement often compromising the degree of emotional resonance with the reader. The novel also had what I felt was an overly melodramatic tone, particularly in regards to the characters’ emotions and feelings, this made reading it a slightly uncomfortable experience for me. However, I am aware that there are those who like reading such books. I would recommend this book to such readers.

This book will probably be favored by females, its erotic content making it more suitable for age 18 and older. The story is well written, and the plot is interesting, but I found that I could not empathize with the characters. I believe this to be a crucial failing in a novel so fixed on emotional pain. Hence, I would give this novel a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like qsusan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Emmanuel Olajide
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmanuel Olajide »

The main protagonists of the narrative are people of strong character. A very interesting read the book appears to be, though targeted at more mature minds only.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm also not a huge fan of over-emotional, melodrama. But like you say, this fits in well with the genre and will definitely appeal to some. Thanks for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

:x Yes, the emotional content has been exaggerated at times,which made me uncomfortable too. Overall the story is interesting and thrilling. Thanks for your interesting review.o
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Books in the romance genre are not for me but this one sounds interesting. That uncomfortable feeling it gives will keep me away. Thanks for this review.
qsusan

Post by qsusan »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 13:53 I'm also not a huge fan of over-emotional, melodrama. But like you say, this fits in well with the genre and will definitely appeal to some. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your comment. I have recently read and reviewed the second book of the series and it is more interesting and less melodramatic than this one.
qsusan

Post by qsusan »

xisecrets wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 12:59 This sounds like something the ladies would like.
Yès, it does. But I wouldn't completely limit its potential audience just yet. There might be males, though i dont think there are many, who would read it.
qsusan

Post by qsusan »

xisecrets wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 10:51 Definitely something that the ladies would like
Yes it does seem a little restricted in that sense to a certain audience. Thank you for your comment.
qsusan

Post by qsusan »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 01:01 :x Yes, the emotional content has been exaggerated at times,which made me uncomfortable too. Overall the story is interesting and thrilling. Thanks for your interesting review.o
Thanks for your comment. It seems you enjoyed the novel overall. Although the emotional content is a little exagerated that can be overlooked.
qsusan

Post by qsusan »

Rosemary Okoko wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 02:42 Books in the romance genre are not for me but this one sounds interesting. That uncomfortable feeling it gives will keep me away. Thanks for this review.
Thanks for your comment. It seems you aren't a fan of overly emotional stories like this one. Heartaches 3 is interesting but I suppose you have to like this type of emotive story to be able to enjoy it fully.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

Wow, I have only finished reviewing the first book of the series yesterday...and now to be reading the review of the third book of the series is just...amazing. But I cannot wait to read the second book though.
I find Heartaches to be deep-romance type of book, especially considering the erotic scenes the author successfully attempts to draw into the reader's mind through the use of explicit sexual language. At one point while reading the book, I wanted to stop at all, and go pick another book, but then, I decided to face all the content, and it was a great book.

Thanks for the review, it lost me a bit though cause I have not even read the second book.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”