Review by dtb -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by dtb -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by dtb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is a sweet grey kitty cat on a rat hunting adventure in Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski, Ann Marie Hannon, and Margaret B. Hannon. Right away, while trying to find a rat, Puffy meets a mole in a hole. Then Puffy goes on to discover more flora and fauna in the great outdoors. Puffy finds a nice spot to rest and play and stays for a while. Soon Puffy notices a creature similar to herself, but not quite the same. Puffy gets too close and suffers the smelly consequences.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe is a quick read with pleasant rhythms and rhymes. The story is quite charming. It seems like a book that would quickly become a bedtime favorite. The lovely full-page illustrations are very colorful and have a narrative quality that makes them worth spending time with. I can picture a child’s little fingers pointing to the sweet creatures on the pages. Animals and insects are shown in landscapes complete with hills, valleys, trees, grass, flowers, mushrooms, bodies of water and clouds. My favorite illustrations are of the scenes where Puffy gets a bath. The bubbles are so charming it is easy to forget that cats don’t like baths and that Puffy is probably not enjoying it.

The authors have included tips for making the book a good learning opportunity and offer suggestions for discussions you could have with children about the book. They even offer a “Big Words” vocabulary list. Another great bonus feature of this book is a coloring page for the child to use. This is described as a reward for the child for good reading and the authors will even send you a second blank coloring page should that be needed. They have provided contact information to facilitate the delivery of these items. I didn’t try to request them and can’t comment on how well that part of the experience goes.

The only thing that I found less than positive was the style of the graphic elements they used to set the text apart from the illustrations. White space was added to the illustrations in a cloud shape and the text is inside the cloud. I found the shapes distracted from the great illustrations and think a simpler shape, like an oval, might have been better.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The illustrations really make this book extra sweet and the story is fun. I recommend this book to anyone with a young child in their life. I didn’t notice any typos.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dtb's review? Post a comment saying so!
dtb

Post by dtb »

I'd love to hear what you think of my review or this book. Please leave a comment.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! I know in my latest review it seems like I don't judge books by their covers but I chose not to review this because the illustration doesn't seem to hot.
dtb

Post by dtb »

I know what you mean. The illustrations inside work better as they seem more colorful and go along with the story. I think they are very sweet and have a youthful, innocent quality.
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

Seems like both and educational and entertaining story! Thanks for the review.
dtb

Post by dtb »

Brittany J wrote: 26 May 2018, 09:10 Seems like both and educational and entertaining story! Thanks for the review.
It is a sweet story too.

Thanks for Commenting.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

You've got such a fanciful flair in your reviews, and I think I admire that. (I've read your Can I Be Frank? one but I just chose to refrain from commenting for personal reasons.) You've given a good sampling of the book's rhyme and rhythm, and a very detailed description of the illustrations that made me easily visualise what to expect.

My kids have already grown way past the bedtime story years. It may be too late for them now but not necessarily for their future kids.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
dtb

Post by dtb »

Espie wrote: 28 May 2018, 10:43 You've got such a fanciful flair in your reviews, and I think I admire that. (I've read your Can I Be Frank? one but I just chose to refrain from commenting for personal reasons.) You've given a good sampling of the book's rhyme and rhythm, and a very detailed description of the illustrations that made me easily visualise what to expect.

My kids have already grown way past the bedtime story years. It may be too late for them now but not necessarily for their future kids.
Thank you for taking the time to comment and for your kind words. I really appreciate it.
Egarcia87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egarcia87.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Egarcia87 »

Even though I did not give this book the same rating, I appreciate your point of view since you give a convincing argument. I am interested in seeing your feedback on my review as well. Thumbs up on your analysis!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

dtb wrote: 28 May 2018, 11:30
Espie wrote: 28 May 2018, 10:43 You've got such a fanciful flair in your reviews, and I think I admire that. (I've read your Can I Be Frank? one but I just chose to refrain from commenting for personal reasons.) You've given a good sampling of the book's rhyme and rhythm, and a very detailed description of the illustrations that made me easily visualise what to expect.

Thank you for taking the time to comment and for your kind words. I really appreciate it.
No worries. Cheers.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”