Review by Bok48 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Review by Bok48 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Mr Benji »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Are Naked by William E. Combs is an analysis of the root cause of the evil that is plaguing the society today. It kicks off with the account of the Fall of Man in the third chapter of the book of Beginnings(Genesis).The universal themes of sin ,salvation, and faith was succinctly discussed. The author ,William Combs is a retired Presbyterian pastor and has Doctor of Ministry and Doctor of Divinity degrees from the Fuller Theological Seminary at Seattle(USA).

The cover page displays a fresh apple fruit on a tree that awakens the reader's memory of the story of the Forbidden tree.The book is divided into ten relatively short chapters with the major points to be discussed listed in the Table of contents.Subsequently, the arguments were presented in an authoritative yet persuasive tone ,by using words and phrases that creates mental images for the reader--these images helped me to visualise the scenes more realistically. Secondary materials used like the Bible Dictionary and related Commentaries were well referenced.Also ,the scriptures quoted are displayed on the pages, without the reader having to pause during reading in order to check the references--which make it an easy read for me.The style and appearance of the prints is legible,readable, appealing and well-spaced.The English Standard Version of the Holy Bible rather than the King James version was used to give the bible texts a clearer meaning.The interpretation of the scriptures is in accordance to the context of usage in the original Greek and Hebrew text.The characterisation of sin as the cause of our feeling of shame,inadequacies and nakedness is well developed throughout the book.

Combs specifically used literary devices to grip the reader's imagination and to convey more information. For example,the possibility of the existence of an unsuitable mate for Adam prior to the creation of Eve was suggested in chapter two ( a personification).He gave detailed dialogue between the serpent and Eve in chapter two (an allusion). Also,he gave personal testimonies that seems like nightmares, but at closer examination were indeed his actual encounters.He explained how one man can die for all in chapter 6 (an antithesis).Furthermore, his choice of words and writing style is suitable for the believer who needs a clear explanation of the christian faith.

However, in chapter three,page 43,it was stated that "the root meaning of sin is not to be associated with Adam's act of transgression since the Lord introduced the term "sin" in chapter 4 and not in chapter 3 of Genesis" (para phrased).This claim is quite contradictory to the general interpretation of The Fall :that through one man's disobedience, sin entered the world (Romans 5:12) I suppose the text above in the book of Romans refers to "Adam" and not Cain. Rather than argue with the pastor ,William Combs, I would take more time to dig into the significance of the first appearance of the term "sin" in the scriptures .

In addition to its professional editing, Who Told You That You Are Naked is refreshing ,well-researched,well-written,and illuminating. I hereby rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. In this book newlyweds will discover God 's plan for their lives;believers,especially new converts will find the strength to stand against social pressures and it can also serve as a source for pastors to prepare their sermons. Truly,the unsaved will find rest in the finished work of Christ in this book.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bok48's review? Post a comment saying so!
Books are lovely.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Good review. I reviewed this book too. It was my first. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Thanks ayoomisope.
It is my first too.
Books are lovely.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's good that you've found the piece informative, insightful, relevant, and well-written. I hope it is as uplifting as the holy book it's based should be. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

What a co-incidence - this book was also my first review effort also. It is very hard to write a concise summary of books of this nature. There are so many aspects, teachings, and concepts involved that I found it quite a challenge. Great review, and keep up the good work!
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Espie wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 19:58 It's good that you've found the piece informative, insightful, relevant, and well-written. I hope it is as uplifting as the holy book it's based should be. Thank you for your thoughtful review.

@Espie, it is as uplifting as any good book can be. The author, William Combs, is an expert in the field with a Doctor of Divinity from a theological school. As expected, he is also a minister in the Presbyterian Denomination. I wish you review it as well.

Less I forget, thank you too
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Espie wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 19:58 It's good that you've found the piece informative, insightful, relevant, and well-written. I hope it is as uplifting as the holy book it's based should be. Thank you for your thoughtful review.

@Espie, it is as uplifting as any good book can be. The author, William Combs, is an expert in the field with a Doctor of Divinity from a theological school. As expected, he is also a minister in the Presbyterian Denomination. I wish you can review it as well.

Less I forget, thank you too
Books are lovely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:

Post by Mr Benji »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 20:26 What a co-incidence - this book was also my first review effort also. It is very hard to write a concise summary of books of this nature. There are so many aspects, teachings, and concepts involved that I found it quite a challenge. Great review, and keep up the good work!
It is amazing that the book was your first too and I fully agree that summarizing such a book written by a Theologian, William Comb, can be difficult.

But a way out of such a struggle would be to carefully select the major parts that really touched you and express them cleary as much as possible. I don't think a summary should be more than that? Don't you agree?

And thank you for your nice comment.
Books are lovely.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Mr Benji wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 01:17
Caylie_Cat wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 20:26 What a co-incidence - this book was also my first review effort also. It is very hard to write a concise summary of books of this nature. There are so many aspects, teachings, and concepts involved that I found it quite a challenge. Great review, and keep up the good work!
It is amazing that the book was your first too and I fully agree that summarizing such a book written by a Theologian, William Comb, can be difficult.

But a way out of such a struggle would be to carefully select the major parts that really touched you and express them cleary as much as possible. I don't think a summary should be more than that? Don't you agree?

And thank you for your nice comment.
Yes, I agree, and that is what I tried to do in my review - write about the key points that stuck in my mind after I had finished reading it.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Great review. I have recently reviewed this book, actually it's the first book I reviewed. I must say, its thought-provoking, well-structured and well written. The best way to enjoy great revelation from the book is to have your bible beside as you read the book. Remember, the book is based on the authors personal encounter at 5 yrs.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”