Review by Helen_Combe -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Review by Helen_Combe -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Siegfried’s Smelly Socks by Len Foley, although a book for young children, is not for the faint hearted. Siegfried is trying to find out why his book smells so bad, but as we turn the pages, we find that it’s because he and family members have left something utterly revolting on each page. It’s pretty dire and it’s pretty gross, and I have to say that I loved it. Like all good children’s books, it works on two levels. It’s entertaining for the child and also for the adult who is reading it out loud. My dad would have loved it.

I enjoyed the varied colour of the pages, the mixture of the well-drawn cartoons of Siegfried, his dog and his siblings, and the extremely badly drawn cartoons of the adults, which I thought was a nice touch. There are also photographs of many of the items left in the book which are mixed in with the drawings. I particularly liked the page where Siegfried is superimposed over a photograph of a bedroom as he seeks his socks that are under the bed.

My favourite page was the one that had something so unutterably disgusting on it that it had to be hosed down. I also loved the end. Four pages from the punchline, I was looking at the illustrations and thinking “hang on, isn’t that a...” and then I got to the end and laughed out loud when I found that I was right, it was.

The whole book has a lovely chicken and egg quality to it. It’s all about how bad it smells, so what was it about before it smelled bad? I pity any parent who has to explain that one to a particularly perspicacious youngster (get out of that, Einstein).

I have only a few nitpicks with the story, it has an ellipsis with only two dots, and the writing for the blue sock should have been coloured blue to follow the pattern of the other socks (apart from the polka dot and the striped one, which can be forgiven). I’m afraid that as a child, I was a stickler for rules and patterns.

I also found that some of the rhymes were a bit forced, ‘beans’ isn’t a good rhyme for ‘green’, nor is ‘trouble’ for ‘bubbles’ (I was a stickler for rhymes as well). Sometimes I found that the rhyming metre wasn’t quite right which would have resulted in me stumbling over my words, were I reading it out loud. I was brought up on the excellent Dr Seuss and I’m afraid that all children’s poetry I come across is compared against this first-class exemplar.

Altogether, I enjoyed the book and I believe that anybody who finds bodily functions amusing will enjoy it too. I have given this a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because I have yet to grow out of being a stickler for all sorts of things.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am another stickler for what-nots. I wasn't too happy with how Sigfried remedied the problem with his socks. I classify the book as a children's (or perhaps a mom's) horror story, LOL.

Other than the gruesome ending, the book was a lot of fun.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Miriam Molina wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 05:16 I am another stickler for what-nots. I wasn't too happy with how Sigfried remedied the problem with his socks. I classify the book as a children's (or perhaps a mom's) horror story, LOL.

Other than the gruesome ending, the book was a lot of fun.
The gruesome ending appealed to my coarse sense of humour 😄
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I'm currently reviewing this story. It's funny. It's gross but it's tolerable. I thought the toilet page was the funniest
:techie-studyingbrown:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I read a couple of reviews about this book and some mentioned it as a little disgusting about socks. however after reading your elaborated and detailed review i plan to read it.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

sanjus wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 09:43 I read a couple of reviews about this book and some mentioned it as a little disgusting about socks. however after reading your elaborated and detailed review i plan to read it.
Oh good, I hope you enjoy it.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The use of color you mentioned was one of the things I enjoyed the most about this book. I also liked the rhyming pattern used in the book. Nice review.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

prospero360 wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 19:07 The use of color you mentioned was one of the things I enjoyed the most about this book. I also liked the rhyming pattern used in the book. Nice review.
Thank you.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I read the review of the Siegfried’s Smelly Socks is a book from child fiction written by Len Foley. This is a book for character development of young children in the age of three to seven years. Siegfried is the main character of the story who plays a role of protagonist in the plot. He describes all the possible causes for the production of smell in his room as well on his book. thanks for the review.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 16:04 I read the review of the Siegfried’s Smelly Socks is a book from child fiction written by Len Foley. This is a book for character development of young children in the age of three to seven years. Siegfried is the main character of the story who plays a role of protagonist in the plot. He describes all the possible causes for the production of smell in his room as well on his book. thanks for the review.
Thank you for posting.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I just finished reading this book. I agree with you concerning the rhythms, but the part I loved most was the educational aspect. Great review!
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Anthony__ wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 08:09 I just finished reading this book. I agree with you concerning the rhythms, but the part I loved most was the educational aspect. Great review!
Thank you

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”