Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

First and foremost it is tremendously important to note that the content in this book deals with mature subject matter; thus, I strongly recommend this book to an adult audience. The content consists of abuse (physical and mental), sexual violence and drug deals in a critical nature. The author very skilfully uses love as a tool to heal broken hearts; with a twist of strong bonds formed over friendship, to give out a fascinating reading experience to the reader.

Heartaches 2 by H. M. Irwing is the second book of its trilogy series which bring out the raw honesty of its victims. The book consists of 262 standard pages divided into 13 chapters with a prologue used as a beginning tool to keep up the continuous flow from its earlier book. Heartaches 2 belong to the romance genre; but with a twist of betrayal, hard-core and vengeance.

The novel speaks about the shy and naive, Anna Simmons who learned about the sweet and the bitterness of love, and the depth of hate through the hard way by losing something valuable. Haunted by her past Anna encounters a man who also had to endure so much in life that his dark past haunts him in his dreams. Through him, Anna recognized a reason to fight back what she had lost and to live for him.

What I enjoyed throughout this book is the descriptive detail given about love and pain. A pain centered around sexual violence (abuse) in which it influences the victim and the people involved in the victim's life physically and mentally. With all these emotions revolving around such a tedious act, there lies the hidden innocence of a person still believing the idea of a happily ever after.

Many may consider this book a Chick Lit as there is romance, passion and copious scenes of steamy erotica, all written very well indeed. What I found fascinating is the fact that Irwing's protagonists suffer from their bruised past. Rape (sole and gang) plays a significant role in this book, but that is not the drive: the point is finding solace and overcoming the past by finding a mate who will have a forgiving and an understanding heart. Through Anna, Irwing shows that people are not perpetually who they seem: who we adore the most may choose to abandon us in an unforgivable way.

Characters give a whole new meaning to this exciting and passionate, suspenseful read. The love between Anna and Rafael is beautiful which is growing strong as the two protect each other. Unfortunately, absurd dramas and extreme emotions demean the standard of the book. Yes! Ardent love exists with fearsome hate, and these characters know how to show it, but one has to wonder if the emotions displayed are above limitations. The scenario is the same when Anna and Rafael are dealing with the dramas of their loved one’s relationships throughout the plot making it extremely vague.

The plot is a well written read developed by including the perspective of multiple characters. The language used is simple and easy-going without any hindrance. This book is not a stand-alone read; thus, it is essential to read as it is otherwise there is a high chance of getting lost (with experience). I believe the social – political comments about gay marriage, the victim – blaming and rape stated in this book were favorable in maintaining my interest. It offers an emotional and a psychological complex read which is important in maintaining the reader's attention towards the book. Considering the above experience that I got from this book, I award it a 3 out of 4 stars.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Sexual abuse, physical and mental violence as well as drug deals are truly not pleasant scenes but am glad the reviewer has cautioned that its for only adult. Am not a fun of such books. A goog review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Exactly, the book contains many sensitive scenes and drug business. And Anna and Rafe were the victim of this whole gang. Well, it's an emotional read. Thanks for your review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Sahani Nimandra

Thank you for commenting, it is truly as it seems! @Sarah @kwame
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

This book sounds like an intense read. Thanks for the review.
Sahani Nimandra

It sure is. Thank you for commenting Ritah!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I really appreciate your review and all the warnings about the content. I try to avoid books with a lot of that, so it was awesome to read your review!
Sahani Nimandra

Momiji1987 wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 16:16 I really appreciate your review and all the warnings about the content. I try to avoid books with a lot of that, so it was awesome to read your review!
Thank you for commenting, I am happy that you found my review resourceful!
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I also found the emotions of the characters to be rather extreme. Anna often declares to herself just how much she loves Rafe or how tormented she is by her past, her feelings are true but the author failed to make me 'feel' her emotions or empathize with her.
Sahani Nimandra

qsusan wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 14:26 I also found the emotions of the characters to be rather extreme. Anna often declares to herself just how much she loves Rafe or how tormented she is by her past, her feelings are true but the author failed to make me 'feel' her emotions or empathize with her.
Its more like "needy baby, greedy baby" policy, she's complaining to get noticed. We know she has face problems and abuse, we know she loves Rafe but repeatedly saying it is overwhelming so you are right! Thank you for commenting!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm not a fan of this author, but I'm glad that you enjoyed this book enough to give it three stars.
Sahani Nimandra

CommMayo wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 11:50 I'm not a fan of this author, but I'm glad that you enjoyed this book enough to give it three stars.
Thank you for commenting CommMayo!
Sahani Nimandra

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 14:47 I read the review of Heartaches 3 (A Little Lost A Little Found) by H.M. Irwing, written by Sahani Nimandra.
I feel so sad to know that reviewer felt so deeply about the violence caused to Anna and Rafe. Actually when a girl is caught to a victim of such exploitation in the absence of any help and support , what she should do? The first love of Anna was not base on sincerity so the disappointments lead to the further failure. How can she accommodate herself in such a situation? Anyway I liked the love story of Anna and Rafe who both collectively made efforts to compete with the extreme situations of violence and tried to meet each other with the help of their supporters. So the story contains love and romance which sometimes diverts from the real situation of the story.
A Little Lost A Little Found is another book of HM Irwing, it does not belong to the Heartaches - Bad Boy Vibes series. True, Anna and Rafe found comfort in each other to move away from there past. It's true what they say about love heals pain. Thank you for commenting!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have read and written the review of Heartaches 2 by I.M Irwing. Anna Walters-Simmons acts as protagonist character in the story who suffered from cruelty, rapist and remorseless behaviors from her closely linked people. She is passing from a very poor condition full of grief but also trying to come back to its normal position with the desire of vengeance. Raphael Russo Brown, often called Rafe is the boyfriend of Anna and remains with in all of the difficulties suffered by her because all the conditions had also been suffered by him. The erroneous and disturbed mental conditions of both members bring them to a unity and match. Thanks for your great review.
Sahani Nimandra

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 15:10 I have read and written the review of Heartaches 2 by I.M Irwing. Anna Walters-Simmons acts as protagonist character in the story who suffered from cruelty, rapist and remorseless behaviors from her closely linked people. She is passing from a very poor condition full of grief but also trying to come back to its normal position with the desire of vengeance. Raphael Russo Brown, often called Rafe is the boyfriend of Anna and remains with in all of the difficulties suffered by her because all the conditions had also been suffered by him. The erroneous and disturbed mental conditions of both members bring them to a unity and match. Thanks for your great review.
Thank you for summoning that up! :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”