Review by bookiegalke -- Becoming the Dragon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by bookiegalke -- Becoming the Dragon

Post by bookiegalke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming the dragon is a science fiction genre book by Alex Sapegin. Originally done in the Russian language, Becoming the dragon is a fairly good book in my opinion. In my childhood, I use to enjoy watching cartoons because they took me to an imaginary world for which in my childhood thinking, I perceived to be a real world. I actually believed that the imaginary world existed somewhere in the real world until I grew up and realized everything was just made up. Every time I read a science fiction book, I kind of get that same experience I had as a child; it’s a magical experience to say the least. However with Becoming the dragon, I was a little disappointed.

Becoming the dragon follows the story of Andy, a boy of Russian nationality. By mistake he encounters his father’s device; a teleportation gadget. He is immediately relocated to an unfamiliar world and gains magical abilities. He quickly learns that he has to develop mastery of his newly acquired abilities if he is to survive in the new world. Language too proved difficult for him.

Character development in Becoming the dragon was one aspect that I disliked. One of those characters was Dorit. She played a part in the capture of Andy. I was hoping there would be more interactions between her and Andy rather than introduce her at the beginning then she disappears only to reemerge again at the tail end. The story line as well took a snail’s pace especially at the beginning but the pace took momentum midway which created an imbalance in the whole story.

Because this version was a translated version from the English version, I tend to think the original version might be different. Different in the sense that may be some information got distorted or changed while the translation was done. I tend to think if I read the original version, my opinion of the book would probably be different but I would first have to learn the Russian language.

For the reasons stated above, I rate Becoming a dragon 3 out of 4 stars. Though the editing was good the lack of proper character development and slow story line kind of took away the fun. I would suggest the writer considers rewriting the book with due consideration to my concerns. The cover photo of the book doesn’t need any alteration though. It’s actually one of the good things about the book.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like bookiegalke's review? Post a comment saying so!
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

Books about dragons dont interest me

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”