Review by alisonedgee -- Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Review by alisonedgee -- Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lemoncella Cocktail tells the story of Patrick Carter, a bartender with a mysterious and dark past, saves a young girl from drowning by being in the right place at the right time. Upon returning the girl to her family, there has been a case of mistaken identity, somebody has attempted to murder the wrong sibling, and Patrick finds himself right at the heart of the case. While Patrick assists the task force, believing his own life to now be in danger, the criminals are out to find the correct sibling and discover how much the task force already know.

Flimsy story, inconsistent characters, appalling grammar, and totally one dimensional women. Giving this a hard 1 out of 4 stars. Really, truly god awful trash, and not in the good way.

I did enjoy elements of the story, there was a base there to make something, it just needed a lot more time and work than it got. Mystery and intrigue to kick off the book, good. It’s just everything after the first chapter was painful to read quite frankly. The characters, all could have been interesting, shame they weren’t.

Characters, for a start, none of them were rounded at all, it came across as very lazy, easy writing, when we learn of Patricks ‘dark and mysterious past’ it’s not given the gravity or attention it should have, given that this is what shapes the mans entire being. The women, and this from a female author, disgraceful. Utterly one dimensional wet blankets, only relevant because of something their boyfriend or husband did, the younger women all just want to settle down and start a family. The older women concerned only with the family they already have. The only motivation for women to do anything in this book, is directly related to either men, or their wombs. I’ve been on this ride before, I’m already over it.

Speech in this book is very interesting. It’s as if the author has never actually held a conversation. Unprompted emotional chat, endless description of what one is about to do, stiff, unnatural, and three instances of actual police officials saying ‘Ohmygod!!’. There’s no excuse for that really. Poor, poor effort.

Food and coffee are probably the biggest feature in the book. Very detailed specifics of every meal, snack, even fridge stock takes. I honestly think Natan must have been given a word count to hit and thought it would serve as a good enough filler. People can’t seem to just talk, they have to get coffee first, must specify if instant or filter, where they’re eating, exactly what they’re eating etc. I just felt like my time was being wasted.

Overall it reads as ‘my first crime novel’. It’s not very smart, it’s really not clever, the plot attempts to be smart and have twists but fails miserably. It’s not well written at all. Very basic writing and it’s not even got that right. Grammar and tenses are all over the place, you frequently have to stop and retrace a sentence or two to attempt to understand what it should say. Luckily the chapters are short, so you can have a little rest after you’re done deciphering each one.

Finally - pretty sure she meant Limoncello.

Lemoncella Cocktail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like alisonedgee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's bad to know that the author couldn't fulfill the Requirements of a good novel. I will avoid this one. Thanks for this critical review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

There was a time when I thought of reviewing this, but never really gotten around to it. After reading your review, I feel glad that I did not! I am a fan of thriller genre, but this book just would not do! Thanks for the review!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your detailed and honest review! It's a shame that the author wasn't able to present well-written characters and a good plot twist. Hopefully their next book will be much better.
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

Cheers guys, glad to be of service. really wouldn't want anyone else putting themselves through this book. sorry not sorry.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I thought this book is a good story, well I'm just looking at the cover.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

It would be great to see how the girl was "saved" in the story.

Also, I would love to see the delicious meals as mentioned in your review.

Lastly, thank you for the review.
Books are lovely.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”