Review by WillowStarSerenity -- Island Games

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
WillowStarSerenity
Currently Reading: Loved
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willowstarserenity.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review by WillowStarSerenity -- Island Games

Post by WillowStarSerenity » 24 Mar 2018, 07:28

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matthew and Ryan are transported to a mysterious island. They have no idea where they are and they can't remember anything about where they came from. Together they must face many obstacles in order to earn what they need and to get through the island unscathed. Can they work together to get through it successfully? Or are they doomed from the start?

I want to start out by saying that I believe that most of the reason I didn't like this book is that I'm older than the target audience of this book. To be fair, I'm way older than the author of this book. So, my not caring much for this book doesn't reflect on the author or this book as much as it does my age and my preferences in reading. I wish I had liked it better than I did. The idea behind the novel was amazing. It was creative and unique.

The story itself was pretty clever. I just feel there were a few inconsistencies. I can't get into too many of them without completely ruining this story for people. There are just points in the book that stuff happens that made me confused because it shouldn't have happened due to other events that happened around it. I also feel that it was a bit hasty in parts it should have been in more detail about. I also feel that the time lapses were a little too excessive too.

The characters were not very easy to connect with. They squabble through the whole book. I get that they were kids and best friends, but I really feel like the squabbling was way over exaggerated. Plus, one moment they were being really childish and annoying and the next they were being super serious and adult like. I get they were kids but the back and forth with the maturity made me question a lot of aspects of this book.

All in all, I give this book 2 out of 4 stars (2.5 out of 5). I wanted to like this book. The idea behind the book was amazing. The fact that the author is still a kid is also amazing! I just feel like it could use another edit. It could use more execution of the idea as well. With that said, I'd still recommend this book. It seems like it would be a great book for middle-grade children. It would be a fun read for them.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like WillowStarSerenity's review? Post a comment saying so!

AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 830
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson » 07 May 2018, 12:57

Yeah I read this book too! I wanted to like it but there were so many issues! Why was there a crate mentioned early in the book, what was the point of that!? And I didn't like the ending either. Weird story. I recently read a reviewed a different scifi story if you want to check out my review :)

WillowStarSerenity
Currently Reading: Loved
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willowstarserenity.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by WillowStarSerenity » 07 May 2018, 13:57

I'd love to. Link me to your reviews or your blog and I'll read all of your reviews! I'm glad to know it wasn't just me that had issues with that book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”