Review by Quithilion -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quithilion
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quithilion.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review by Quithilion -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Quithilion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Would you kill someone, if you knew you only had a few days left to live? This is the question that is the central theme to the sci-fi/thriller Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Van has a smooth flowing writing style that is easy to follow throughout the story, despite the story following several different characters, each with their own story. There is Dr. Vijay, the inventor of the controversial VT2 (sports watch). He is also the founder of VitalTech, the company that he set up to sell the VT2; this company plays a major part in the story. A second storyline follows the elderly couple, Vince and Trudi, who hear about what is happening. The final part involves the FBI, in the form of an investigation into murders with no motive. Agent Zoe Brouet is the unlucky one to be assigned the case.

The afore mentioned VT2 is an amazing piece of technology; while it can do the same things as most sports watches, only better, it also includes an algorithm that can take the data it collects and use that to calculate the life expectancy of the wearer. However, this algorithm is only accurate with predictions of less than 30 days.

Synopsis: An old man opens fire with his guns in a retirement home, killing some of the other residents and injuring others. The local police are baffled by the crime, as there doesn’t seem to be a motive. This seeming small event is the catalyst for all that follows. Vince and Trudy, being senior citizens, are appalled by what happened and start looking into other related happenings. The FBI is called in later, but this was the first step to their involvement. The NRA (National Rifle Association) policies are questioned. Behind it all, is the question I opened the review with. Which way would you go?

The part of this story I loved the most is the single mindedness of the NRA. They state that they bare no responsibility for the deaths that have occurred. Even suggesting that if those that died had weapons of their own it never would have happened. At the same time, they are lobbying to reduce the restrictions concerning who is allowed to own a gun. This allows one lady that was registered as blind to purchase a gun, she plays an interesting role near the end of the book.

The part that I didn’t like they way that VitalTech wanted to use the deaths as a sales gimmick to promote sales of the VT2. I thought this suggestion was in bad taste, and I want to believe that no company would stoop that low. The watch was a marvelous creation and need no such macabre actions to help promote it.

This novel is very well written, I found only one small mistake that I hardly noticed and the rest appeared to be perfect. The story itself is excellent, and it gives the reader something to contemplate, as well as providing entertainment. I will give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and heartily recommend it to everyone. I think it would be most appreciated by lovers of thrillers. There is no overt violence or sex anywhere in the story to give offence.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Quithilion's review? Post a comment saying so!
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

Nice review. I understand your main points. How sad to have that watch for the sake of "sales".

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”