Review by Phoenix29 -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Phoenix29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix29.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by Phoenix29 -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Phoenix29 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday by Samyann is a historical fiction and romance novel based in modern-day Chicago. The story of an Irish mounted police officer Mark Callahan, and his love-interest, Amanda who works for an antique evaluation magazine. After coming together during a death-defying experience, the pair are determined to figure out why they feel so familiar with each other, and in which of their past lives they came together. The two have seemingly different lives, both struck by tragedy, but Amanda’s heartbreaks were much more severe.

I typically enjoy historical fiction, but the first thing I struggled with in this book is that it took 10 chapters before you ever got a hint of where the “history” factor came into play. In Amanda’s past life, she is a little girl in the South during the Civil War. The family’s slaves have very distinct accents that are very well written, and it’s easy to imagine them really speaking. Her father, however, is a plantation owner and was given no distinct accent to help you envision him in the South during this time period.

The author gives great detail in places that seemed less important and left out key details in another. Take the death of one of the characters is written as one minute he is dressed as a Baptist pastor, and the next he is dead. No details of what lead up to his death for several pages. I understand not wanting to sound redundant in your writing, but the death was so sudden. Another character dies in childbirth with no illustration at all of the details. Did she lose blood? Did she have some other medical emergency during the childbirth process? I would have appreciated much more specifics. I realize they are minor characters in the story, but some clarification would have been much more enjoyable. I want to know the WHOLE story.

The two police officers in the story are very vulgar and perverse, especially the partner. I realize this is supposed to be a romance novel, but some of the comments during their conversations were a bit much. Several sexual innuendos and just plain blatant sexual comments that could have been left out of the story. Mark also spends a great deal of time pinning Amanda in place, even though she is clearly uncomfortable or has clearly said “no.” He appears more lustful throughout the story than wanting to really connect with her, even though he says he loves her. The “f” word appears several times throughout the story.

I gave this book a 2 out of 4 because I felt like I was reading two different stories. They didn’t mesh well together for the most part, and the historical fiction genre assignment was a loose term. The flashbacks felt like they were an entirely different story until the last few chapters. The book was lacking historical details. There were more details in the epilogue-like section of the book than in the actual story. It was more about this emotionally unstable woman, deeply affected by catastrophes in her life and overcoming her fear that everyone she loves dies. The ending was weak and did not leave me wanting a sequel. Again, I would have appreciated more specific details. I will say the author did a great job of connecting the reader with Amanda's emotions. You felt her pain. You felt her agony in her darkest moments. I wanted to reach through the story and give her a hug.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Phoenix29's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

You did a great job explaining what you liked and didn't like about the story. I like historical fiction sometimes, but am not a huge fan of romance anyway, and this one sounds like it would be a bit much for me. Thank you for your review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It's frustration when a favorite genre doesn't meet your expectations. Your reasons for the low rating of this book were clear and reasonable.
mrswoodlee
Currently Reading: Dreamlander
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrswoodlee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by mrswoodlee »

I read this book and believe this is an accurate and fair evaluation of it. I found myself enjoying the historical parts better than the modern day; they did indeed feel like two different, loosely connected stories. And their relationship felt codependent. His behavior toward her, as he ignores all her protests, bordered on inappropriate and creepy. However, I enjoyed the story for the most part and gave it three stars in my review.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm sorry this book didn't exactly meet your expectations. Try reading Kindred by Octavia Butler if you want to try to get this mess out of your head. I think she does the genre more justice.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”