Review by Eileen4 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eileen4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen4.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by Eileen4 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Eileen4 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review: And Then I Met Margaret Stories of Ordinary Gurus I've Met In Life by Rob White

In this book the author expressively describes how one can move beyond the myths in life to discover the realities. He shows how to get past the myths of life through everyday experiences with which the reader can easily identify. The reader is drawn into the author's own experiences through many examples, while allowing for personal growth and learning for the reader.

Each story takes a common myth and shows how the reader can move beyond that myth to gain new understanding of the realities of life. Each chapter begins with a common myth, which is clearly stated. As the author describes his own personal experience the reader begins to realize what the reality is that the author is getting at. The myth is then restated at the end of the chapter, followed by the reality the author discovered. In this way the reader is taken on a journey with the author, which results in a better understanding of the true realities of life.

There are 21 myths presented in the book. Magic only happens randomly, only the few are selected to win, what happens in my world determines how I feel, if I see it, it's true, and there is a logical limit to personal power are a few examples. In each chapter the author brings to light the reality in an an interesting and humorous style. The book is very readable and thought provoking. Because the stories are very relatable it is easy for the reader to come to the same conclusions as the author. In this way it is a guided discovery.

After reading the book I do have a favorite chapter, titled "I decided Not to Die." I will describe this chapter so that the reader will have a better understanding of the way in which the author presents the myths and realities. My favorite chapter is the one in which the author describes a peanut vendor from Fenway Park. The vendor and the author would run into one another occasionally on walks around a favorite community pond. The boisterous peanut vendor started to decline in health and he said his doctor told him he was dying. After continual decline he decided that he was going to live. He followed the doctor's directions and returned to good health. In this way he realized he was first class in the eyes of the Creator, and that he would live long and laugh a lot because EVERYONE is first class. The myth the author was describing was that "Some folks are superior - lucky them." Through the author's interactions with the peanut vendor he realized that "We're all superior - lucky us."

Although the myths could have been worded in a way that would be more easily understood, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book is written in a way which is not only relatable for the reader, but it is also written in a nostalgic style, making it a very enjoyable read. This style also makes it easy to identify with the author, so that each story becomes more relevant to the reader. I highly recommend this book, it is a delight to read and quite enlightening!

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eileen4's review? Post a comment saying so!
gitogoelias
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gitogoelias »

Good one. Keep on keeping on!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”