Review by stacie k -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Review by stacie k -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by stacie k »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway by Alex Fayman is a science fiction thriller in which the main character, Alex Fine, has the ability to transport himself through the internet to any destination in the world, a phenomenon called electroportation. In the process, he can also download vast arrays of data to his brain for perusal at his convenience. Along with this fantastic ability comes power to alter data. How will 18-year old Alex use his giftings?

The author introduces Alex Fine as a young boy in an orphanage with intelligence far beyond his years. Having been abandoned at birth and repeatedly rejected by foster families, Alex found comfort and escape at first through books and later through the internet. One night while surfing the internet, the computer screen went blank and Alex attempted to restore it by unplugging the network cable. This is how Alex discovered his unusual ability to travel through the network cables. And thus began the thrilling ride of Alex Fine on the superhighway. His humble beginnings in an orphanage gave him a heart for the poor and underprivileged. Thus, he sought to use his powers to be like a digital Robin Hood, stealing from rich criminals to benefit the poor. Little did he know the dangers this would introduce. His various destinations--LA, Hawaii, Amsterdam, the Caribbean—are the backdrop for a complex plot involving espionage, organized crime, deceit, and government conspiracy.

There is something for everybody in Superhighway. Discover the mystery of Alex’s family history, enjoy the romance of his first love, and be swept away by the excitement of spy/crime thrillers. This would make a great subject for book clubs as there are so many themes to consider: the messiness of secrets, the consequences of actions, the dangers of the internet, and the source of happiness, to name a few.

One of the aspects I enjoyed most about this story was how the author began with the ending, thus creating intrigue and the desire to learn more before disclosing the more mundane back story of Alex’s beginnings. His technique grabbed my attention and drew me in to the story. In addition, I appreciated that Alex Fine was a believable character. As a teenage boy, he was distracted by beautiful women, tempted by drugs and alcohol, and made poor choices all while clinging to an idealistic hope to make the world a better place. I found it entertaining to see how he often landed at his destination in awkward, embarrassing moments. It was reminiscent to me of scenes in Back to the Future.

Because Superhighway is the first installment of a trilogy, it makes sense that it would end in a cliffhanger. Much like an episode of 24, it leaves the reader hungry to find out what happens next. In fact, I believe that Superhighway would translate well to the screen as a TV series or a movie.

If there were any negatives about the story, it would have to be the presence of numerous punctuation errors, forcing me to give Superhighway 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to anyone who likes action-packed stories that keep you on the edge of your seat. I would forewarn younger readers about the more mature content of sex, violence, drugs and alcohol.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like stacie k's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I've read several reviews of this book, but I do not recall reading about how Alex landed to his destination. Also, I loved the connection you made between the book's cliffhanger and 24. Indeed, I can hear you. Thanks for this interesting review!
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

Thank you for this wonderful review. I found it really helpful. I will certainly give this book a try.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This is a beautiful story of digital journey of Alex through internet. Your rightly mentioned the pros and cons of this book. This Thanks for your insightful review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I really liked this book, particularly Alex. I agree with you in that it would fun for these books to be turned into TV series or movies. Thanks for the great review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

The author introduces Alex Fine as a young boy in an orphanage with intelligence far beyond his years. Having been abandoned at birth and repeatedly rejected by foster families, Alex found comfort and escape at first through books and later through the internet. One night while surfing the internet, the computer screen went blank and Alex attempted to restore it by unplugging the network cable. This is how Alex discovered his unusual ability to travel through the network cables. And thus began the thrilling ride of Alex Fine on the superhighway. His humble beginnings in an orphanage gave him a heart for the poor and underprivileged. Thus, he sought to use his powers to be like a digital Robin Hood, stealing from rich criminals to benefit the poor. Little did he know the dangers this would introduce. His various destinations--LA, Hawaii, Amsterdam, the Caribbean—are the backdrop for a complex plot involving espionage, organized crime, deceit, and government conspiracy.
I like your summary of this book. This made me feel, I read the book itself. It's very concise and a very detailed one. You sold me on this review.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I enjoyed this book at first, but I just really didn't like Alex as a character. He seemed too much like a glorified self-insert of the author for my tastes. That said, I'm glad you had a good time reading it!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I started this book, but I just couldn't get into it. I quit about halfway through. I just couldn't bring myself to like Alex. Thanks for your review, though. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it for the most part.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I did read this, but like kandscreeley, I just couldn't enjoy Alex's selfish ways. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this one! Thank you for sharing. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

ViziVoir wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 20:28 I enjoyed this book at first, but I just really didn't like Alex as a character. He seemed too much like a glorified self-insert of the author for my tastes. That said, I'm glad you had a good time reading it!
I agree with you completely. This wasn’t my favorite book by any means, but I enjoyed some portions of it and hated the rest! That said, I’m glad this reviewer and others (apart from us) liked it, lol.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I have just commented on this same book by the same author. Great minds think alike. A good review. Thanks
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I'm not really drawn to this book because of other reviewers' comments about Alex's personality. Thanks for sharing your perspective. It's nice to have other points to consider when deciding to read a book. I think I'll hold off this one though.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

The book seems interesting. It makes me ask "What would I do if I could travel through the internet and upload vast amounts of data to my mind?" Unfortunately I don't think I would immediately be as altruistic as Alex.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Actually i was very much intrigued to know what is there in this book before taking it for review, i read number of reviews and found there is new perspective in your review and i like it. thank you for good review
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I also reviewed this book and I had some trouble with the fact that the ending was the first chapter. I am glad it didn't bother you and you were actually captivated by this.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”