Review by dtb -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by dtb -- Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by dtb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can I be Frank? written by Rob Wyatt is fun and a quick read. The protagonist, Father Frank, is a young, anxious and awkward English priest who has been hired to lead a parish in far-away Florida due to a shortage of qualified candidates for the job. We follow Father Frank as he travels from England and navigates confusion at US Customs with an illicit pork pie from Fortnum and Mason. The pie was slipped into his suitcase by his worried mother who knows he might not be ready to leave the nest. Despite a series of mishaps, Father Frank somehow makes his way to his new home at Saint Francis of Assisi Church in Palmetto Lake.

Father Frank is a little clumsy and not very confident, but he wants to make a good impression and do a good job. His earnestness and lack of experience lead to plenty of amusing happenings. His quirky personality provides comic relief in contrast to the difficult, dangerous, and frightening situations that he sometimes encounters as he navigates culture clash and local politics in Palmetto Lake.

When Father Frank meets his co-workers, they sense an oddness about him but don’t realize he needs more help than he is able to ask for. Father Frank bumbles his way through a series of gaffes and disastrous incidents until he is able to find his support system and learn to lead the people of his parish.

Wyatt spends a lot of time on character development and establishes a variety of relationships for Father Frank. Can I be Frank? provides readers with a good introduction to this cast of characters and readers will want more stories about them in what should be an entertaining and uplifting book series.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This would be a great beach read. Can I be Frank? offers humor, mystery and enough substance to deem it an edifying read. The pace is quick and lively. The writing is witty, optimistic, and light-hearted in tone. This is a book that people who are not religious can enjoy too. Wyatt does touch on failings condemned by critics of religion, and the Catholic church in particular. While Wyatt opens the door to that discussion, he doesn’t step all the way through it and I felt some of those issues deserved a just a little more time and balance, even though this story is about the experiences of a good-hearted and sincere priest.

Can I Be Frank?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dtb's review? Post a comment saying so!
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like a hilarious read. I thought it was funny his mom put a pie in his suitcase. I enjoyed your review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
dtb

Post by dtb »

Yolimari wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 04:56 Sounds like a hilarious read. I thought it was funny his mom put a pie in his suitcase. I enjoyed your review!
Thanks for taking the time to comment on my review. I appreciate it.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

A great beach read - yes, this is what I got from it when I sampled it a while back. Glad you seemed to like this. great review dtb.
dtb

Post by dtb »

Jaime Lync wrote: 26 May 2018, 00:48 A great beach read - yes, this is what I got from it when I sampled it a while back. Glad you seemed to like this. great review dtb.
Now all I need is a beach. :D

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my review.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

About the pork pie, Could it be a cultural taboo to eat a pork pie or pork products in England?! *Just curious*
No Wahala
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

good review, this came up for me and i wasn't completely sold on it tbh, so i read something else, but you seemed to enjoy it so much i might give it a go next time
dtb

Post by dtb »

Nerea wrote: 29 May 2018, 07:30 About the pork pie, Could it be a cultural taboo to eat a pork pie or pork products in England?! *Just curious*
I'm not sure about that. I think it may vary depending on religion.
dtb

Post by dtb »

alisonedgee wrote: 29 May 2018, 08:28 good review, this came up for me and i wasn't completely sold on it tbh, so i read something else, but you seemed to enjoy it so much i might give it a go next time
I hope you like it too.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”