Review by bekkirtw -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bekkirtw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bekkirtw.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by bekkirtw -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Post by bekkirtw »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes, a novel by Janet McNulty, is a science fiction adventure that takes the reader on a wild ride across an unknown galaxy. Rhynah, the main character of the book, loses her fiancé and her home planet in one fell swoop. With the help of an unlikely ally, her grandfather’s aged ship, she embarks on a race against her beau-turned-arch-nemesis to find the crystals that might save her planet, and indeed, the galaxy.

The name of the ship that Rynah’s grandfather built is Solaris, and she is much more than a ship. She is an improbably, but wonderfully, self-aware entity, and one of the book’s more endearing characters. She relays to Rynah the prophecy that her grandfather studied, as well as Solaris’s own deductions thereof. Next, Solaris takes a journey through time and space to assemble Rynah’s crew of ragtag heroes from the distant Terra sector, known to the reader as Earth.

The plot of Solaris Seethes was interesting, if one was willing to suspend logic for the sake of entertainment. The action was fast-paced at times, drawn out at others. There were several instances where a great deal of attention was paid to something seemingly insignificant to the story. These details might be significant in a future book, though, since this book is the beginning of the series.

The writing in this book was not as smooth as I would expect from a seasoned author. From the preface to the chapters introducing the crew, the book seemed to be pieced together awkwardly. The characters of the book were difficult to become invested in. They were introduced as one type of person, then they acted the exact opposite. There was no character in the book, apart from the ship, Solaris, that I did not get angry with at least once.

My biggest issue when reading this book was that the author used parentheses to the point of distraction. I counted seven instances just in the first chapter of the book, and the trend continued throughout. Additionally, the structure and flow of the sentences in the book was often jerky and unnatural.

The awkward use of the English language by a professional author led me to give this book three out of four stars. Despite the distractions and the unusual character development, McNulty told an engaging story. Her vivid descriptions made a far-fetched story seem almost plausible. This is not my favorite book by any means. That said, I will probably finish the series to see what happens.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like bekkirtw's review? Post a comment saying so!
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Thanks for the the review, I was thinking of picking this book up but was on the fence about it. From what you said about the characters and struggles you had with it, I may try to find it at the library rather than purchasing it.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”