Review by briellejee -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review by briellejee -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by briellejee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murder in Memory" by Mike Thorne.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reading Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne is like walking around in an intricate maze inside the head of a psychopath. It's bloody, it's interesting, it's terrifying but overall, it's absolutely exciting. Thorne really put a different spin in regards to hypnosis and the mysteries of the mind.

Police Chief Grady is suddenly on high level alert when a student gets murdered in the little town of Harper. With no traces of the suspect, Grady believes it is just bad luck for the victim. However, another student gets killed and this time, witnesses claimed they saw a man with a ski mask in the scene of the crime. Grady couldn't just watch the once peaceful town crumble into chaos so he sets out into the university of the deceased students, hoping to find clues; and there he meets a psychotherapist named Dr. Andrews who uses hypnosis as a mode of coping mechanism to his patients. As soon as Grady tells him the incidents and asks him if it coincides with someone with mental problems, Dr. Andrews offers him a name of his patient: Professor Jon Evans. Without any hesitation, Grady takes the only lead he has. However, after some investigation, there's a small problem: the supposedly criminal, Professor Evans, doesn't seem to fit any of the crimes. With this thought, Grady starts to question the whole fiasco. Who is exactly behind all of these crimes? Is this a work of a psychopath as he deem it is? Is Jon as innocent as he looks? Is Dr. Andrews telling the truth? Will he ever solve the crimes and put the perpetrator behind bars, or would this get buried in the past as if nothing happened?

This book sent shivers down my spine especially when the author uses the point of view of the suspect. It's thrilling but overall creepy. The thoughts, although fictional, make sense of the crime and the movements leading to the crime. As I was reading, I couldn't help but feel vulnerable as if these thoughts were supposed to be private and I was the eavesdropper who might be caught along the way. I know it's natural whenever you read books but it's a totally different feeling when it's a psychopath's mind who's out there planning the murders than someone who just stabs someone with a knife. With this thought, Thorne just opened a window about how mental illness poisons the mind. I should feel disgusted and crept out by the suspect, but in the end all I felt was sadness and pity for the man. That's what I like about this certain concept of the book: to fully understand the reasons behind one's actions before we get to judge them, especially people with mental illnesses.

I also wanted to praise the author for his smooth transitions and how he managed to stitch a simple detail into another one. It is such a brilliant work of art.

The only issue I found is the ending. I have read the other reviews and certainly, the ending felt a little bit not what we all expected it to be. The plot certainly did rise but only for a while. The author's tone on how he presented the suspect was too placid that there was no element of surprise. However, as the end drew nearer, there was tension and a bit of a thrill; but then, the end felt like a match being puffed out into nothingness. It was like you were given this tiny light in a tunnel and when you thought it's the sunlight, you stumbled into a dead end. Although, this doesn't mean you won’t enjoy the ride throughout.

Overall, Murder in Memory is fascinating in its own way. It's thrilling, it's suspenseful, it's everything you want in a murder book. Although I didn't find any editing errors, I give it a 3 out of 4 stars rating all because of how the ending turned out to be. I get it that there are endings that are not meant to satisfy any reader but this one just kind of invalidated the suspense that the author built up in the previous chapters. If you're into suspense-themed books and is curious on what runs inside the heads of these psychopaths, then this book is for you. However, if you think you'll have nightmares because of the creepy thoughts, then I will not recommend this.

Murder in Memory
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like briellejee's review? Post a comment saying so!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

This definitely sounds like an interesting book, maybe not something I'd pick up on my own, but a potential read after reading your review. It's disappointing to hear the ending was a disappointment though. I always hate those buildups that lead to nothing. Thanks for the great review!
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 09:13 This definitely sounds like an interesting book, maybe not something I'd pick up on my own, but a potential read after reading your review. It's disappointing to hear the ending was a disappointment though. I always hate those buildups that lead to nothing. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for stopping by! The ending's a bummer but I hope you'll enjoy it nonetheless. Happy reading! :D
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

I just finished reading this book. I enjoyed it enough, but would have to agree with you regarding feeling like we were let down at the end. However, I did like the way the author ironically ended this story with a surprise ending. This fast-paced read with descriptive characters helped me to relate to each person. Not sure if anyone else noticed, how the author found it necessary to say the person's name at the end of each dialog. It got to be annoying as if the author did not trust the reader to remember who was talking. Other than that, it was a good suspense novel.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

bootsie0126+ wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 22:57 I just finished reading this book. I enjoyed it enough, but would have to agree with you regarding feeling like we were let down at the end. However, I did like the way the author ironically ended this story with a surprise ending. This fast-paced read with descriptive characters helped me to relate to each person. Not sure if anyone else noticed, how the author found it necessary to say the person's name at the end of each dialog. It got to be annoying as if the author did not trust the reader to remember who was talking. Other than that, it was a good suspense novel.
yes the ending was like a sudden jolt without any traces of a possible sequel. maybe that's the reason why the author made the ending that way, to put the case to a close.

oh that really bothered me too! good thing you brought it up. Yes, despite the ending it really was a good suspense novel. thanks for stopping by! :D
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

briellejee wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 11:19 This book sent shivers down my spine especially when the author uses the point of view of the suspect. ... As I was reading, I couldn't help but feel vulnerable as if these thoughts were supposed to be private and I was the eavesdropper who might be caught along the way. ... Thorne just opened a window about how mental illness poisons the mind. I should feel disgusted and crept out by the suspect, but in the end all I felt was sadness and pity for the man.
I think this is a great piece of analysis. The book doesn't appeal to me at all, but thanks for the insight.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Libs_Books wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 01:19
briellejee wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 11:19 This book sent shivers down my spine especially when the author uses the point of view of the suspect. ... As I was reading, I couldn't help but feel vulnerable as if these thoughts were supposed to be private and I was the eavesdropper who might be caught along the way. ... Thorne just opened a window about how mental illness poisons the mind. I should feel disgusted and crept out by the suspect, but in the end all I felt was sadness and pity for the man.
I think this is a great piece of analysis. The book doesn't appeal to me at all, but thanks for the insight.
Thank you for this comment as well. You are welcome. :D
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

briellejee wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 11:19 [Following is a volunteer review of "Murder in Memory" by Mike Thorne.]
This book sent shivers down my spine especially when the author uses the point of view of the suspect. It's thrilling but overall creepy. The thoughts, although fictional, make sense of the crime and the movements leading to the crime. As I was reading, I couldn't help but feel vulnerable as if these thoughts were supposed to be private and I was the eavesdropper who might be caught along the way. I know it's natural whenever you read books but it's a totally different feeling when it's a psychopath's mind who's out there planning the murders than someone who just stabs someone with a knife. With this thought, Thorne just opened a window about how mental illness poisons the mind. I should feel disgusted and crept out by the suspect, but in the end all I felt was sadness and pity for the man. That's what I like about this certain concept of the book: to fully understand the reasons behind one's actions before we get to judge them, especially people with mental illnesses.
What an interesting perspective! Putting us into the mind of the suspect is an interesting twist. I like books that immerse me in the story, creepy or not, so I will look to read this one! Thanks for the review!
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

KLafser wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 09:45
briellejee wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 11:19 [Following is a volunteer review of "Murder in Memory" by Mike Thorne.]
What an interesting perspective! Putting us into the mind of the suspect is an interesting twist. I like books that immerse me in the story, creepy or not, so I will look to read this one! Thanks for the review!

Thanks for considering it! Have to warn you about the let down in the end though. Still, have fun! :D
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Great review! As a lover of these kinds of books, I'm definitely intrigued by this because of your review. Delving into the mind of a psychopath is scary but I like it all the same! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Aubrey Cana Laine wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 05:52 Great review! As a lover of these kinds of books, I'm definitely intrigued by this because of your review. Delving into the mind of a psychopath is scary but I like it all the same! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Glad that this review piqued your interest! It's one of a kind! Hope you'll enjoy it! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this too! Thanks so much!
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Not sure if anyone else notice the irony of the ending. Throughout the book, Jon Evans is portrayed as a weak-minded, passive man who is easily manipulated and unappreciated, but finds redemption at the mental institution where he bask in the glorification of his superior status there.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

bootsie0126+ wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 10:19 Not sure if anyone else notice the irony of the ending. Throughout the book, Jon Evans is portrayed as a weak-minded, passive man who is easily manipulated and unappreciated, but finds redemption at the mental institution where he bask in the glorification of his superior status there.
The character development of Jon in the end is a bit cliche though. and for me the author kinda rushed things with it. or it was just a poor projection of that irony. either way, i have to agree with you that it is indeed ironic.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

briellejee wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 20:30
bootsie0126+ wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 10:19 Not sure if anyone else notice the irony of the ending. Throughout the book, Jon Evans is portrayed as a weak-minded, passive man who is easily manipulated and unappreciated, but finds redemption at the mental institution where he bask in the glorification of his superior status there.
The character development of Jon in the end is a bit cliche though. and for me the author kinda rushed things with it. or it was just a poor projection of that irony. either way, i have to agree with you that it is indeed ironic.
I think it was a combination of both. I agree that the ending and Jon's character was rushed and incomplete. I was hoping that the ending would focus on the triumph of Grady's investigation leading to Jon's release or an added twist of Jon's knowingly involvement in the murders. Maybe that could have left a cliffhanger for a second book. :wink2:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”