Review by revna01 -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Review by revna01 -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by revna01 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi takes the reader on a whimsical journey with the book's feline heroine, Inca. Since moving from Paris to London with her human mom and kitty siblings, Inca has set her sights on becoming the greatest cat detective of all-time. Inca decides to begin keeping a diary as a means of recording her success stories as she works toward her goal. Having previously solved a mystery involving a stolen diamond necklace, Inca's growing reputation as a cat detective has landed her another case to un-caper.

Joined by her siblings and canine friends, Inca embarks on a mission to solve a mystery brought to them by Boss, a doggie foe-turned-friend who is in danger of losing the home he shares with his owner. An additional plot, in which a human friend goes missing in another country, sends some of the furry investigators abroad in hopes of finding him.

The book is told in a first person point-of-view, through the eyes of Inca, as she goes through her days enjoying family life as well as detective life. Relationships play an integral role in this story, as different personalities must learn to work together for the greater good. Real-life emotions such as jealousy, self-centeredness, forgiveness, greed and compromise are speckled generously throughout, adding an unexpected depth. Additionally, the pets must use their problem-solving skills to overcome any obstacles or physical limitations they may have in order to ascertain evidence or sneak around undetected.

I found this tale to be creative and I enjoyed the abundant illustrations , as they really helped me to visualize the characters. I liked that there were multiple storylines interwoven and I felt like the author did a great job giving distinct personalities to each of the many characters. There was boundless enthusiasm, as was showcased by the varying font sizes and indulgent exclamation points.

Unfortunately, I found this book to be poorly written. The sentence structuring was unnecessarily wordy and often confusing. The non-primary storylines were underdeveloped and incomplete, leaving me uninterested in their outcomes. I thought the formatting was unpolished and the piece was obviously lacking professional editing (punctuation errors were rampant). I believe a pre-teen audience would be forgiving and find this book to be an enjoyable read, but for a critiquing eye, it fell painfully short. I believe this book would be better served as a short story. I have rated this book 2 out of 4 stars, all things considered.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

The story of a cat detective who works together with her siblings (and even canine friends) sounds whimsical and adorable! It's so unfortunate that the book lacked professional editing -- hopefully that's something that the author can avail herself to in the future. I was delighted to note, in reading the author's biography, that she owns a real cat with the same name as her protagonist. Thanks for another great review!
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Penny Lee wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 23:38 The story of a cat detective who works together with her siblings (and even canine friends) sounds whimsical and adorable! It's so unfortunate that the book lacked professional editing -- hopefully that's something that the author can avail herself to in the future. I was delighted to note, in reading the author's biography, that she owns a real cat with the same name as her protagonist. Thanks for another great review!
I was enamored with the idea of the book, being a lifelong cat-lover myself! Kristi has a genuine love of animals and a commitment to helping them. She's on the right track with this story line, she just needs a little professional literary guidance/streamlining. Thank you for reading and commenting :)
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I enjoyed your review of Diary of a Snoopy Cat. It's too bad that you think this book was poorly edited, because otherwise it looks like it could be very good.
Last edited by lbhatters on 21 May 2018, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”