Review by ViziVoir -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Review by ViziVoir -- Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Becoming the Dragon" by Alex Sapegin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becoming the Dragon is a debut fantasy novel by Russian author Alex Sapegin. It follows a boy named Andy, who is transported to a fantasy world that seems to draw heavy inspiration from Tolkien's Middle-earth. Upon arrival, rather than be revered as a hero, he is captured and ridiculed, frequently avoiding death only through his own skill and quick thinking. Since he actually didn't become a dragon until about halfway through the book, I'll avoid talking about the circumstances of his transformation in detail, but at no point did this element feel shoehorned in.

It's important to note that this novel was translated from Russian. In my opinion, this was good for a fantasy novel, since it means its language isn't overly flowery and inaccessible, as seems to be common in the genre. The translation is clear and easy to understand, with minimal grammatical errors that tend to be clustered in the first few scenes. The Russian origin of this story did present some problems, however. Andy is implied to be an adolescent boy, and the novel reads much like one targeted towards children, but there is some relatively explicit content. There is one sex scene, and Sapegin also goes into detail describing female characters' busts at some points. The dissonance in tone was somewhat jarring. I can only attribute this to cultural differences.

Despite this, the fantastic world Andy found himself in was fleshed out in surprising detail. Though the book is overall very Eurocentric, cultures exist that are more than simple clones of real-world equivalents, including gnomes with glowing hair and a variety of types of magic users. Sapegin repeats the mistakes of many other male authors by including very few fully developed female characters, but this flaw wasn't enough to significantly break immersion.

The supporting cast, especially the main villain, was also developed thoroughly. I found myself motivated to keep reading, not just because of my investment in the characters' fates, but to continue learning more about the cultures and fantasy races living in Andy's new world. For the most part, information was delivered in an immersive way, though there were some chunks of exposition near the end of the novel that were given in the form of monologues.

Becoming the Dragon is an incredibly strong debut novel, and one I would recommend to avid fantasy lovers looking to start a new series. Due to the presence of some sexual content, however, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone younger than a high school student. Its worldbuilding and character development were strong, and it set up the next book in the sequel very well. For these reasons, I rate Becoming the Dragon 4 out of 4 stars.

Becoming the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I always get nervous reading translated books but this conversion seems quite well done. Thanks for the review!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

A good novel is worth to be translated to another language. This book is no exception. This book will go from generation to generation. Thanks for the review.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:

Post by Poppy Drear »

Bianka Walter wrote: โ†‘17 Mar 2018, 16:09 I always get nervous reading translated books but this conversion seems quite well done. Thanks for the review!
Some of my favorite books have been translated, for example, Albert Camus' The Stranger. When done wrong, it can certainly be catastrophic, but when done correctly, it ensures the language is simple and readable, making sure the author's message shines through without purple prose getting in the way.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:

Post by Poppy Drear »

kwame1977 wrote: โ†‘18 Mar 2018, 07:19 A good novel is worth to be translated to another language. This book is no exception. This book will go from generation to generation. Thanks for the review.
It's already quite popular in Russia, apparently, and I can see why. I'm not sure the cultural differences will let it become well-known in the United States, but it's still a pretty good novel, in my opinion.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

its language isn't overly flowery and inaccessible
I think we have some differences of opinion :) I found the language to be far too casual for such an in-depth fantasy! It would have made sense for Andy to speak casually, but I would have preferred some variation in language for this world still stuck in the medieval era. Nonetheless, I appreciate reading your views!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's good fantasy novel. As a reader, you don't feel any difficulty in understanding this translated version. Thanks for your thorough review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•

Return to โ€œVolunteer Reviewsโ€