Review by kdstrack -- The Last City of America

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kdstrack -- The Last City of America

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz is a science fiction novel that creates a situation describing the possible consequences of a man-made virus that has devastated the population of the United States.

The virus has killed off large portions of the citizenship. Those who have survived have been moved into seven remaining cities. Some of these cities have rulers who are tyrants. They make life miserable for the inhabitants and they live without hope. Many prefer to live lonely lives instead of reaching out to form relationships with others. Providing food for families is a daily struggle.

The setting of the story changes between the seven remaining cities. Some want to destroy the main city and others want to join together to form a single city. Of course, these cities would not be recognized because of the wars and sickness that have destroyed them.

The author does a good job of using conversation to reveal information and move the story forward. I found that for the most part the mood of the story was dark and fatalistic. The characters were afraid of the disease, their rulers and impending war. There is also a power struggle between the different rulers. Nevertheless, in the midst of all this gloom, there is also a love story that develops with its own twists and unexpected events.

I felt there were several themes that were not well explained. A powerful character appears who seems to have magical powers. His powers seem to come and go. There are also some strange creatures with superhuman strength. Where do they come from? Who controls them? The doctor who has been the keeper of the information about the virus suddenly decides not to rebuild his lab and continue his experiments.

This book, although in some areas carried to the extreme, makes the reader think and reflect. How do people react in a crisis? How would I react? How do people handle power? Would I participate in a revolution to overthrow a leader? Would I be able to protect and provide for my family in a disaster? A good book goes beyond the pages and penetrates the layers of the mind.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The unfinished themes left me frustrated. I also thought that too many of the characters appeared for a short time before they met their demise. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy science fiction, fantasy and suspense.

The Last City of America
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for the review - I'm quite a fan of dystopian fiction and so the scenario fascinates me, but it sounds as though the book has quite a few flaws. Like you, I enjoy books that make me think, 'How would I react?' and I love the way you describe this as penetrating 'the layers of the mind'. I can hope with 'dark and fatalistic', but I do like a strong ending, so maybe this one is not for me. Perhaps the author is planning a sequel.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Libs_Books wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 05:35 Thanks for the review - I'm quite a fan of dystopian fiction and so the scenario fascinates me, but it sounds as though the book has quite a few flaws. Like you, I enjoy books that make me think, 'How would I react?' and I love the way you describe this as penetrating 'the layers of the mind'. I can hope with 'dark and fatalistic', but I do like a strong ending, so maybe this one is not for me. Perhaps the author is planning a sequel.
That is one of the strong points of this book. The author creates situations that really make you think. Some of them may seem unbelievable. But, should such a situation arise, would it be possible? Thanks for your comment.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

Thank you for your review. I do like a book that makes me think, but don't care for the doom and gloom stuff, so I will probably pass on this one, but you did a great job describing the story and explaining the good and bad things about it.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

rcarr13 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 22:38 Thank you for your review. I do like a book that makes me think, but don't care for the doom and gloom stuff, so I will probably pass on this one, but you did a great job describing the story and explaining the good and bad things about it.
Thanks for your encouraging comments. Much appreciated!
Jbluestocking2
Currently Reading: The Next Worship
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbluestocking2.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Jbluestocking2 »

Thanks for your thoughtful review! It seemed a bit overwhelming emotionally but I'm glad there are some hopeful threads running through the plot, as well as thought provoking messages.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Jbluestocking2 wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 16:58 Thanks for your thoughtful review! It seemed a bit overwhelming emotionally but I'm glad there are some hopeful threads running through the plot, as well as thought provoking messages.
Yes. I thought the author did a great job of including themes of love and hope even though all the world had changed. Just goes to show, you can't stop love!! Thanks for reading.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”